Post anemone carnage

fish4me

In honor of the one month anniversary of joining the tank, my beautiful RBTA went walking last night and got himself sucked up by a Tunze power head.
I've seen the warnings about that issue, but my snails crawl across the intakes all the time with no problems. I figured the BTA was safe given that.
As I've read in similar cases, my water is milky. I'm running activated carbon in a media reactor, changed 15 gallons and have another 20 gallons mixing to change out (tank is a 75 g, with about 15 in the sump). My simmer has NO output, however. No bubbles, no skimmate. Is that normal for a dead anemone? He died sometime between 1:30 am when my husband checked the tank and 4:50 am when I got up for work. Should I worry about the skimmer not picking anything up? What do I do to fix it, if it isn't normal?
Thanks!

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Fish4Me
http:///forum/post/2500764
In honor of the one month anniversary of joining the tank, my beautiful RBTA went walking last night and got himself sucked up by a Tunze power head.
I've seen the warnings about that issue, but my snails crawl across the intakes all the time with no problems. I figured the BTA was safe given that.
As I've read in similar cases, my water is milky. I'm running activated carbon in a media reactor, changed 15 gallons and have another 20 gallons mixing to change out (tank is a 75 g, with about 15 in the sump). My simmer has NO output, however. No bubbles, no skimmate. Is that normal for a dead anemone? He died sometime between 1:30 am when my husband checked the tank and 4:50 am when I got up for work. Should I worry about the skimmer not picking anything up? What do I do to fix it, if it isn't normal?
Thanks!
Not sure about the skimmer issue. However I will recomend that you test your water chemistry for amonia asap. Have multiple water changes on hand in case it is or will spike in the near future. There is a thread in the new hobbiest section about prefilters on all power heads and intakes some pics of different types of material used to make them. A snail has a much tougher body than an anemone does and is stronger to resist suction like that. Anemones gelatinous body types and generally weak bodies dont have much resistance at all to that type of suction, they rely on their stinging cells for their defense not muscle. Sorry for your loss.

fish4me

For the water changes, I already swapped out the entire 15 gallons I had on hand, and I'm mixing as much more as I can. I don't know if I should be more worried about ammonia or anemone toxins, but I figure a water change will help both.
Does anyone know how soon should I swap out the carbon in a situation like this?
Those pre-filters look quite helpful. Do you have any suggestions on places I could find tank divider material? It looks perfect, but I've never seen it before.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Fish4Me
http:///forum/post/2500900
For the water changes, I already swapped out the entire 15 gallons I had on hand, and I'm mixing as much more as I can. I don't know if I should be more worried about ammonia or anemone toxins, but I figure a water change will help both.
Does anyone know how soon should I swap out the carbon in a situation like this?
Those pre-filters look quite helpful. Do you have any suggestions on places I could find tank divider material? It looks perfect, but I've never seen it before.

Hmmmm good question, my LFS had it on hand so I didnt think too much of it. But in its place you can use screening, like you would on a porch or window. Just not steel screen but the nylon or the larger holed pet screen they sell in most home depots or lowes would work just as good. If your carbon was older than a week IMO I would but a new bag in initially. Then swap out a new bag every week for a month IMO just to be safe.

1journeyman

In honor of this thread I'm adding a #3 to my Sig.
Sorry for your loss. It seems inevitable that anenomes will find powerheads... all tanks MUST have prefilters on ALL intakes.

spiderwoman

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
http:///forum/post/2502148
In honor of this thread I'm adding a #3 to my Sig.
Sorry for your loss. It seems inevitable that anenomes will find powerheads... all tanks MUST have prefilters on ALL intakes.
+1