Post those Blennies

oceanbreez

Originally Posted by wax32

Fantastic shot can I ask what you shot it with? Did you use a flash?
It's obviously digital. What camera did you use? I'm trying to get
good shots of my tank.
Thanks It really is stunning

Chasmodes

Originally Posted by perk3211
i know but what else are u going call them?
Dragonettes! :hilarious Just like mandarin's aren't blennies and jawfish aren't blennies. The common name of this fish just happens to be incorrect. But it doesn't really matter, this is a fun thread and pics of your scooter blennies are just as interesting and cool!
Just to let you know that other taxonomic errors occur, even in this hobby. I saw on one web site (not this one) selling products that they are selling a false cleaner wrasse (Aspidontus taeniatus) and selling them in their wrasse category. Well, talk about duping the customer. This is actually a type of mimic blenny that mimics the cleaner wrasse, even setting up cleaning stations in the wild, swimming in similar movements as a cleaner wrasse and actually looking nearly identical. This fish attracts a host. Then it swims around the mouth and gills looking for parasites on it's unsuspecting posing host just like a cleaner wrasse would do. Then, it swims to the back side of the fish and takes a bite of flesh out of the tail or scales on the caudal peduncle! OUCH! Would you want him in your tank? Jeez! Lesson here too, they can fool LFS staff and customers, so be careful when purchasing cleaner wrasses that you don't get this guy. How do you tell the difference? Two ways: 1) Aspidontus likes to hide in holes and Labroides doesn't hide. 2) Aspidontus mouth is underneath and Labroides mouth is at the front.
Here are a couple pics I found of him, the last one...check out those fangs :scared:
Aspidontus

Labroides (cleaner wrasse)

Close up of Aspidontus' teeth

wax32

Originally Posted by OceanBreez
Fantastic shot can I ask what you shot it with? Did you use a flash?
It's obviously digital. What camera did you use? I'm trying to get
good shots of my tank.
Thanks It really is stunning

Thanks,
I use a Sony Cyber-shot, model DSC-p150. It's 7.2 megapixels and I almost always use flash.
Glad you like my shot.

wax32

Originally Posted by Fat Boy
Dragonettes! :hilarious Just like mandarin's aren't blennies and jawfish aren't blennies. The common name of this fish just happens to be incorrect. But it doesn't really matter, this is a fun thread and pics of your scooter blennies are just as interesting and cool!
Just to let you know that other taxonomic errors occur, even in this hobby. I saw on one web site (not this one) selling products that they are selling a false cleaner wrasse (Aspidontus taeniatus) and selling them in their wrasse category. Well, talk about duping the customer. This is actually a type of mimic blenny that mimics the cleaner wrasse, even setting up cleaning stations in the wild, swimming in similar movements as a cleaner wrasse and actually looking nearly identical. This fish attracts a host. Then it swims around the mouth and gills looking for parasites on it's unsuspecting posing host just like a cleaner wrasse would do. Then, it swims to the back side of the fish and takes a bite of flesh out of the tail or scales on the caudal peduncle! OUCH! Would you want him in your tank? Jeez! Lesson here too, they can fool LFS staff and customers, so be careful when purchasing cleaner wrasses that you don't get this guy. How do you tell the difference? Two ways: 1) Aspidontus likes to hide in holes and Labroides doesn't hide. 2) Aspidontus mouth is underneath and Labroides mouth is at the front.
Here are a couple pics I found of him, the last one...check out those fangs :scared:
"Fang blennies" are pretty cool, aren't they?

Chasmodes

Originally Posted by wax32
"Fang blennies" are pretty cool, aren't they?

Yeah...I'm glad all of them don't feed on other fish flesh like Aspidontus though! Ewwww! I never realized just how big those fangs were until I saw that photo, and didn't I realize they stuck out externally like that either. Wow! : :scared:
At least some of them are peaceful (like canary and forktails)...