Post Those Urchins!!!!

mimzy

Originally Posted by Debbie
Nice urchins everyone......

I agree! I agree!!! :jumping:
Ofice, those urchins r really pretty - glad u liked the Cetaphil - hope it works well for you!
Amanda...I've never seen a white urchin before...do u happen to know what species it is? It's really awesome looking!!

mimzy

Originally Posted by Debbie
Here is my purple pincushion urchin. I just love these critters. I don't have snails and don't need them. This guy does it all and in the process has spread coraline algae in my tank that I never had before....
Would not be without one.
ooooh my very favoritest kind of urhcy-burchin!! Debbie, where did you get this guy, if u dont mind my asking? I'd really like an S. Purpuratus, as purple is my most favoritest color in the whole wide world.

debbie

Just at my local LFS here in Canada. They have another one of the same I am tempted to get it as well but don't know if my tank would allow another one.
Deb

oficedepot

my face was red this morning from cetaphil, i found out later.
and my face is a little red right now. is there a break-in period?
i am feeling very depressed if this doesn't work

kdfrosty

I'm a little late, and I only post b/c I haven't seen a pic of an urchin like mine yet. Hope you like. Can anyone give me a detailed ID?

mimzy

Originally Posted by KDFrosty
I'm a little late, and I only post b/c I haven't seen a pic of an urchin like mine yet. Hope you like. Can anyone give me a detailed ID?
AWESOME urchin, KD! I saw a couple just like yours at the LFS the other day - they called them "red urchins." Highly scientific name, u see.

How long have u had the little dude?

kdfrosty

Actually just picked him up today. I got him in trade from a local reefer. All I had to give up was a frag of GSP about the size of a half dollar.
The guy I got him from said that he was bored with him. He had him in a reef system for nearly 8 months. I think it's a cool addition to my tank, and for the small price I paid it was definitely worth it. GSPs grow like weeds in my tank, and now I'm fragging nearly every two weeks.

K

kimc

Here's mine, he came as hitchiker and was smalled than a pinkie toe nail!!

mimzy

KD, did a little search - this was the closest looking thing I could find;
Allocentrotus Fragilis - or, fragile red urchin.
Google the scientific name, you'll come u with a bunch of info!!

mimzy

CCWS - that is the awesomest urchin!! I want one of those guys :jumping:
....is he eating the bubble algae?

ccws

I have not noticed him eating buble algae. He mostly like to wear that as camoflauge. He really prefers Coralline, but luckily I seem to get so much of that stuff that my rocks are still all covered in it.

kdfrosty

Originally Posted by Mimzy
KD, did a little search - this was the closest looking thing I could find;
Allocentrotus Fragilis - or, fragile red urchin.
Google the scientific name, you'll come u with a bunch of info!!
Mimzy-
I appreciate the fact that you took time to help me IDing the urchin. I dont think that it is Allocentrotus Fragilis though. That urchin is commonly known as the "Fragile Red Urchin" as you mentioned, and also as the "Fragile Pink...". After reviewing several pics of that species it's not a match.
I have seen my urchin called "Halloween Urchin" before by a LFS. It's definitely due to it's colors (predominantly orange/black), but I have to come up with a scientific name.
The closest I have seen is Tripneustes gratilla
, but I'm not 100% sure. Take a look, and tell me what you think.
Tripneustes gratilla
And after reviewing the above species further, the common name is "Collector urchin", which makes sense because he commonly has a bunch of random stuff (small shells, etc) stuck to him.

mimzy

Mimzy-
I appreciate the fact that you took time to help me IDing the urchin. I dont think that it is Allocentrotus Fragilis though. That urchin is commonly known as the "Fragile Red Urchin" as you mentioned, and also as the "Fragile Pink...". After reviewing several pics of that species it's not a match.
I have seen my urchin called "Halloween Urchin" before by a LFS. It's definitely due to it's colors (predominantly orange/black), but I have to come up with a scientific name.
The closest I have seen is Tripneustes gratilla, but I'm not 100% sure. Take a look, and tell me what you think.
Tripneustes gratilla
Hhm, looks like it to me!! At least, the spines are very similar...Does your guy have the kewl gaps between the rows of spines? I can't really tell from the pic...

kdfrosty

Originally Posted by Mimzy
Hhm, looks like it to me!! At least, the spines are very similar...Does your guy have the kewl gaps between the rows of spines? I can't really tell from the pic...
Yup he has the rows that are lacking spines. They are said to be blue or black, mine is black. I'd say that's a sound ID then.

corally

Originally Posted by CCWS
I have not noticed him eating buble algae. He mostly like to wear that as camoflauge. He really prefers Coralline, but luckily I seem to get so much of that stuff that my rocks are still all covered in it.

I have a purple pincushin urchin. I thought he just had shells, rocks, etc. on him by accident and I always clean them off like AmandaL, should I leave this stuff on him?

mimzy

Yup he has the rows that are lacking spines. They are said to be blue or black, mine is black. I'd say that's a sound ID then.
yup!!! me too

G'job, 'tective

mythrenody

I was thinking of getting an Urchin when my tank is ready. I heard most of em knock over rocks,but I'm not sure which one,but some don't,I think it was a tuxedo? Those are cool looking