Post Ur Gorgonians Here

barchtruong

feeding Gorgo. is a challenge.
you need to use a syringe and blow some phytoplankton to keep the white bloom open up, then pump Encyclopeez in the syringe and blow the Encycl onto them. twice a week. (books said they need to be fed daily, that's a real pain, I think)

b0bby1

place them in the sand bed and they dont need any certain amount of light. too much light is bad.

jerthunter

Originally Posted by subadeb
Where should they be placed? In the sandbed, and what about light.
Depends on what type you get, Most, if not all the ones pictured above are filter feeders, so no light requirement, however there are some nice looking gorgonians that require light.

jerthunter

Originally Posted by autofreak44
do the blueberry gorgonians need lots of light? they are prety cool

No, those are filter feeders => no light requirement

fish addict

What would be the best species of gorgonian to start with? (yellow, blueberry, red) I have about a 29x turnover rate and only 65w of flourescants over my 29gal. It's been up for about 7 months.

bears

Get one, one of the best buys I ever made. You can't go wrong, Just don't let it hit the air, depending on the species.
why can't it touch the air?

barchtruong

Originally Posted by bears
Gorg. are like all sponges, they are filter feeders.
Once they hit the surface air, air will enter the pores and block off the filtration veins inside the plant. Once the veins can't circulate, the plant will starve and slowly die off.

jerthunter

Originally Posted by bears
It is my understanding that only certain species are damaged by exposure to air. For example, my gorgonian has been exposed to air several times durning movement and has yet to show any visible signs of distress. However, being safe is always good so if possible just don't let it touch air and you will not have to worry about if it is bad for it or not.

alyssia

Originally Posted by Jerthunter
It is my understanding that only certain species are damaged by exposure to air. For example, my gorgonian has been exposed to air several times durning movement and has yet to show any visible signs of distress. However, being safe is always good so if possible just don't let it touch air and you will not have to worry about if it is bad for it or not.

reefer545

Originally Posted by fish addict
What would be the best species of gorgonian to start with? (yellow, blueberry, red) I have about a 29x turnover rate and only 65w of flourescants over my 29gal. It's been up for about 7 months.
29 is too much might want tothinkofturning it down a noch.

reefer545

blueberries are HARD to come by. Just go mine 2 days ago. After 2 years I have seen two adn i bought the second one adn I go to four different SW specific stores regularly. Some of the best buys though. Not by price.

Gorgonians are actually best fed less often than more due to water quality.
The RED OCTO is reportedly the most hardy. The best part of all gorgo is that you only need to temp acclimate them. DRIP is way better Though. Ihave a yellow ande a blueberry. Ill post pics soon. For now, my blueberry is nocturnal, but the yellow is open all day and night. Actually it closes for a few hours every day.

reefer545

the blueberry gave full extension today during the day for a couple of hours, but remains to be mostly nocturnal. The Yellow is always open during the day, escept now that I take pictures of it. Both are some of my favorite buys yet.