Post your LFS horror stories!

rykna

There are 7 saltwater stores here in the Twin Cities. I started salt water 5 years ago. I have a 3 strikes your out rule with LFS.
There were only 2 stores left in 2007 that I would set foot in.Will call the A store and B store.
A store= 0 strikes
B store= 2 strikes
B Store:
#1 sold bad RO water almost crashed my reef tank
#2 would not refund me for a broken pump, which I returned the same day and have the receipt.
#3 this one broke the bank...
I stopped by to take a leisurely stroll in their reef invert/coral room. Two feet from the door I was repulsed by the foul stench of something decaying.
Now I guessing that we all know what a dead fish's body looks and smells like after rotting 3-5 days in a tank. I glanced through the tanks and found the deceased body of a plate coral smothered in the ghoulish gray green mold. What was even more disturbing was there were other live anemones in the tank, which were obviously suffering the effects of their dead friend. The sebae looked the worst. What a waste...hmmm....
I stopped one of the employees and reported the dead coral.
"That's not a dead plate coral, he replied, that's a sponge. I think it's $50 dollars if you want to purchase it."
I continued to insist that it was dead...not to mention the stench in the room...Finally he said he'd go get another employee.
When the second employee showed up he admitted that it was a dead plate coral. I then inquired about the dieing Sebae. He readily admitted that none of the inverts or corals were kept in proper lighting conditions; to save a electric bills.
The lighting that was being used wouldn't grow fw plants. He also agreed that the sebae would die within the next 2 days most likely if it's environment was not improved.
Next I asked him about getting a discount for the dieing anemone. The list said anemones :$50...I told him I thought $25 was a fair price. Then he went to get his manager to get his okay with the sale.
When the employee returned with his manager it was obvious that the manager was very upset.
"First of all, he said, We do not have plate corals, secondly...that is a sponge~not a dead plate coral, and I do not smell anything bad here!!! Thirdly everyone knows that Sebae anemones do best in low lighting conditions. And if you do want to purchase the Sebae...the $50 price is for the other tank...this Sebae is $80!"
He stormed out of the room....the employee was left sheepishly staring at the floor. I thanked the employee for his help, and said he wouldn't have to worry about me returning. As I exited the store, I saw the manager at the register, I paused and gave him a disappointed glare. I'm certain he was quite aware of what I was thinking because his eyes quickly dropped to the counter top. I continued past the manager and exited the store.
I drive pass the store from time to time, unfortunately it happens to be only a block away from my LFS. My stomach churns watching all of the poor blind fools that continue to support this "fish death chamber".
Being the fish addict I am, I seize every chance I have to tell my story to fellow customers at my LFS. Experiences like this also fuel my determination to help others be successful and not fall victim to these types of LFS. It also inspires me to continuing my own marine aquarium education.
~Rykna

sh2000

you can always get deals on lf from petland they don't know whats going on and most of the employees there don't know the dif. between a clown trigger and a clown fish.
I recently got a Yellow Belly Blue Hippo Tang 3 or 4 inches for $29.99.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by Rykna

I stopped by to take a leisurely stroll in their reef invert/coral room. Two feet from the door I was repulsed by the foul stench of something decaying.
Now I guessing that we all know what a dead fish's body looks and smells like after rotting 3-5 days in a tank. I glanced through the tanks and found the deceased body of a plate coral smothered in the ghoulish gray green mold. What was even more disturbing was there were other live anemones in the tank, which were obviously suffering the effects of their dead friend. The sebae looked the worst. What a waste...hmmm....
I stopped one of the employees and reported the dead coral.
"That's not a dead plate coral, he replied, that's a sponge. I think it's $50 dollars if you want to purchase it."
I continued to insist that it was dead...not to mention the stench in the room...Finally he said he'd go get another employee.
When the second employee showed up he admitted that it was a dead plate coral. I then inquired about the dieing Sebae. He readily admitted that none of the inverts or corals were kept in proper lighting conditions; to save a electric bills.
The lighting that was being used wouldn't grow fw plants. He also agreed that the sebae would die within the next 2 days most likely if it's environment was not improved.
Next I asked him about getting a discount for the dieing anemone. The list said anemones :$50...I told him I thought $25 was a fair price. Then he went to get his manager to get his okay with the sale.
When the employee returned with his manager it was obvious that the manager was very upset.
"First of all, he said, We do not have plate corals, secondly...that is a sponge~not a dead plate coral, and I do not smell anything bad here!!! Thirdly everyone knows that Sebae anemones do best in low lighting conditions. And if you do want to purchase the Sebae...the $50 price is for the other tank...this Sebae is $80!"
He stormed out of the room....the employee was left sheepishly staring at the floor. I thanked the employee for his help, and said he wouldn't have to worry about me returning. As I exited the store, I saw the manager at the register, I paused and gave him a disappointed glare. I'm certain he was quite aware of what I was thinking because his eyes quickly dropped to the counter top. I continued past the manager and exited the store.
I drive pass the store from time to time, unfortunately it happens to be only a block away from my LFS. My stomach churns watching all of the poor blind fools that continue to support this "fish death chamber".
Being the fish addict I am, I seize every chance I have to tell my story to fellow customers at my LFS. Experiences like this also fuel my determination to help others be successful and not fall victim to these types of LFS. It also inspires me to continuing my own marine aquarium education.
~Rykna
What really sucks about retail is that it is no longer a desireable job, especially for managers 60 hr work weeks, 30 k a year stupid employees stupid customers, management who demands results usually threatening jobs. so the good people and smart people get out. Then you get left with these morons.