posting pics of plumbing

aquaman2000

can anybody post pics of their plumbing i am going to start a 140 but have no idea where to drill the holes or how to go about with the plumbing since im new to saltwater
help is greatly appreciated

mandarin w

From reading your other post I gather your new tank is not already drilled. Do some research on the DIY forums and ask alot of questions. There are pro's and con's to each. I my opionion, if you want a drilled tank, it is best to buy it already drilled from the company.
Down side of drilling your own tank, you have a 50/50 chance of cracking the glass and ruining the tank. Unless you buy brand new diamond tipped hole bits your chances of cracking your tank go up to 70/30. And if you never drilled a tank before, 80/20. I know a 140 is too big to drag all over the place, but maybe see if your LFS might drill the holes for you. But even if the hole drilling seems to go smoothly, and you don't think you've cracked your tank, inspect the hole very closely. Use a magnifying glass if you need to. Some times it will look like the hole is fine, but there are very small hair line crack right on the edge of the hole, once you fill your tank the stress will make them worse and eventually give way. You don't want your tank full and it just blow out. That is why I say buy it from the factory drilled.
You could use an over flow box as was suggested to you. You just need to make sure you check it regularly and don't get anything clogged up in it. A lot of people don't like overflow boxes, to many people have woke up in the morning to find their livingroom flooded. So research both ways, and know the draw back for each. Then you can make an informed choice.

saltn00b

yes read up in DIY forums, be it here, or elsewhere on the web searching for what you want. I dont know about the odds of breaking but you need to A) decide what you are drilling for and B) decide how big the holes should be c) make sure if its glass, it is not Tempered as that will shatter, sometimes only the bottom is tempered glass. D)make sure you have the correct bulkheads and drill bit sizes and enough plumbing to close off the flow, or complete the project.
the two reasons i can figure you want to drill are for Overflow Columns / Durso Stands
and Closed Loop Systems (CLS). research those extensively.

aquaman2000

do you guys think i should just put two canister xp3 canister filters would it be ok or could it be costly in the long run

aquaman2000

just for the record if i decide to drill the holes i was going to take it to the lfs for them to do it but you guys got me thinking what if they mess it up
any help on what filtration to put

saltn00b

i would never buy and undrilled tank personally. and if i got a new tank, it would likely have to have the back wall drlled with more holes for a CLS. I just added holes for a CLS in my 150 acrylic last week. Once they are in, they are awesome to have. i have no idea about glass % breaking, but double check to make sure the bottom is not tempered.
i have seen people create overflow column that only go halfway down or so and out the back wall as well.
I would not do canister filters they are an outdated technology that need alot of maintenence and can become nitrate factory / traps. all the filtration you will need is proper LR and LS, and a Sump / Fuge with a big protein skimmer.

aquaman2000

the post previously made got me thinking about the plumbing

now im having doubts about having my tank drilled :notsure:
Can a sump/fuge be put together with a tank not drilled

earlybird

Originally Posted by aquaman2000
Can a sump/fuge be put together with a tank not drilled
Sure. I have a 29g with a 10g sump. I am new but have read quite a lot on sumps lately. Mine will eventually have an overflow box that brings water down into the sump via hose and in the sump I have a mag drive 700 pump for my return water. Housed in my sump will be media of sorts, live rock rubble, as much macroalgae that I can get away with, and oh yeah my protein skimmer. Simple. Good luck.