Potential disaster.. Please help.

elohssa

I've been working on 125 in wall for the last three weekends. cut the hole in the wall and built the stand 3 weeks ago. Installed tank and sump/fuge two weeks ago (a used acrylic tank with overflows in both back corners). Last weekend I added 150lbs LR, in addition to 40lbs that came with the tank, and installed the lights.
Tonight I was tinkering with the sump and noticed that at the very bottom of one of my overflows there is a hairline seam that did not get sealed when the overflow was installed. This allows a slow but steady trickle into my sump, when the circulation pump is off, which could potentialy drain ALL my tank water onto the floor! I am so glad that I found it now before a disaster, but it really brings down a truely great three weeks putting this thing together. Is there any way/product I can use to patch this w/out draining the tank? And if not, how long would I have to keep the tank dry before can fill it again?

tony detroit

Having a hard time understanding you, pictures would help. A hairline crack could be cured with some weld on, but not exactly done properly, but it could work if you had to. Is the crack on the bottom panel, or one of the side panels?

elohssa

Sorry, no pictures, I have webtv so I am a bit limited. The overflow boxes attaches to the sides and back of the tank from top to bottom. At the bottom of one of the boxes, where the box meets the side of the the tank, there is a 1/2-3/4 section of the seam that did not seal. HTH

elohssa

Can this "weld On" be used with water in the tank? Where can I find it? I know you can't post web sites on this board, so please email me at antonfs@webtv.net. Unless it's someting I can pick up at the hardware store.

blackomne

If it is the seam silicon the crack. It will take about 24 hours to dry. But it will have to be dry in order to apply.