Potpourri of questions

fat_ed

Hello, folks. This is my first "official" day here after a few weeks of lurking. After a two-year hiatus (not by choice), I have re-started my SW tank. I am determined not to repeat the mistakes I made the first time around. My 55-g tank is currently in its first week of cycling (2 green chromis), and I have a handful of random questions.
1) I was not able to obtain live rock from the only reputable LFS in my area when I first set up the tank, so I have recently ordered 45 lb. pre-cured Fiji on-line. Is it safe to add all of it directly into the tank? Ammonia is currently rising in the tank, and nitrites have not yet appeared in my measurements.
2) I chose live sand for the substrate, and I would like to introduce a sand sifter down the road. As I was planning this to be a fish only tank, can you recommend any species? Are watchman gobies out b/c of there reliance on shrimp? If I do get a watchman and a shrimp, can I still get a scarlet hawkfish? Can shrimp live happily in a peaceful fish-only tank?
3) Finally, what is your recommended time for quarantining new fish?

picasso

1. Yes, you can add the live rock to the tank. However, I would recommend you return your cromis first. The live rock will have die of during shipping and will cause the ammonia to surge- possibly killing your fish. I would let the live rock (rather than the fish) kick start the cycle and after your levels have evened up- then think about adding fish. Live rock is usually better and quicker for cycling as it is already crawling with the denitrifying bacteria you are trying to get growing.
2. You can keep shrimp in the FO w/ LR tank- IF you don't keep fish that eat inverts. Hawkfish do, so more than likely a shrimp would become dinner if you kept them togeter.
3. 3 to 6 weeks- depending on the condition and health of the fish.