Potters Angel...Anyone?

t316

Well, today was the day. But before I drove over there, I decided to call to make sure they were still holding him. Turns out, he has developed some kind of infection in his gills, go figure. They said they are going to treat him, but no thanks...Guess the 6 Day test was a good idea.

uneverno

What ophiura said.
There is something about their dietary requirements we don't know. Very difficult to keep long term even if they're eating well.

I have one, no problems. It eats pellets, frozen and picks off rocks. Also doesn't go after coral. Very nice addition along with my flame angel

t316

Originally Posted by globaldesigns
http:///forum/post/3109990
I have one, no problems. It eats pellets, frozen and picks off rocks. Also doesn't go after coral. Very nice addition along with my flame angel
How long have you had your's global?

aquaknight

I had two, sort of a forced pair, the biggest one I could find with the smallest, and both were a nightmare to get eating. The little one only lasted about 2 weeks and never took to feeding strong, even live brine and bloodworms, the large one lasted for about 2 months after seeming like he would make it, and died with a weird clunk of his side missing.
I'm being to wonder where they are getting Potter's from, and perhaps, they're coming from deeper down then we think, and the higher then normal morality rates we're seeing, are due to decompression isses. %%

novahobbies

I thought I'd ressureect this as there's been some more postings about Potter's Angelfish recently. I happened to find the FAMA article I was thinking of earlier up in the thread. This is from FAMA March 2008, Volume 31, #3. Bob Fenner wrote a moderately lengthy article about the species, and it really helps illuminate some of the reasons this fish doesn't do well. Personally, as beautiful as I think they are, I won't buy one.
"As mentioned previously, the majority of Potter's Angelfish collected from the wild are doomed despite anything you might be able to provide or do. They suffer from what Morgan Lidster of Inland Aquatics labels 'Post Trauma Collecting Disorder (PTCD),' or the sum total of stress and damage from and through the process of gathering, holding, and shipping wild livestock. Potter's Angelfish are suitable 'poster children' here, with most dying mysteriously at some point soon after capture."
Mr. Fenner goes on to reveal a disturbing statistic (unverified in the article, but c'mon, it's Bob Fenner...I'm sure he has a source...) in that "Somewhat less than 5% are alive within one month of capture. Most of this attrition can be traced to simple stress and damage in collection."
I wish I could reprint the entire aticle, but I think you might be able to find it online at FAMA's website. B.F. also further confirms our original suspision that this is indeed a deeper water species, although not so deep as to have any decompresion issues: most adult P.A.'s are found in 50+ feet of water. So, all in all.....maybe a species we should stay away from. I won't tell anyone to NOT buy this animal, but I would definitely hope the purchaser is ready with a proper size tank with the right amount of live rock before the fish is brought home. Hope this helps!

How long have you had your's global?
Mine has been in my tank for over a year now. Very peaceful fish along with its partner in crime, my flame angel.