Potter's Angel not eating.

trigga

I purchased a Potter's Angel 1 week ago. The fish is absolutly stunning. The problem is that it will only pick at live rock. I have tried frozen Pygmy food, live brine shrimp, frozen brine, Red algae sheets, sinking algae pellets, and 2 types of flake, Any suggestions?
Thanks!!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Angels are grazing fish, and yours obviously prefers to follow his natural instincts and "graze" on your rock! Angels are also vegetarians, so you need to supply a nice supple of green vegetable food. I'd try 2 things:
First, get a lettuce clip and offer your angel rommaine lettuce of spinach. This food will satisfy 2 needs---grazing and green vegetables. The other thing that you can do is try to "hand feed" your angel. Only, instead of using your hand use a syringe. I have a clownfish that was being intimated by another male clown and refused to come out from his hidding place. Using a syringe, I was able to get the food right up to him, and he was able to eat [and survive, I might add]. This method has proven, for me, so much more efficient than throwing food in the tank, that I continue to use it. Basically you can feed small amts of food to fish, placing the food exactly where you want it to enter the water. My fish are so used to this now, that they see me coming with my syringe and surrouond it as it enters the water.

jess

Alot of people think potters are a bad choice because they are difficult to start feeding. What you can try is going to your Fish store and buying a piece of Live Rock that is covers with small corals and inverts. Place it is the tank the the angel will use it worms and alege and corals as food. Hope that helps

the rock

the rock says....
try placing an algae sheet down in between some rock work to make it more natural for your fish to find and eat the food as opposed to out in the open where it is not accustomed to eating it. once it gets a taste of what it is eating it will usually end up seeking it out. continue with small amounts of live brine. give it some time to become accustomed to your tank and hopefully it will come around, if your water conditions are good it could live for at least a month in your tank by just picking off the rockwork, eventually you will find something that it will eat