potters angel

1guydude

They have a potters angel at one of the LFS....any1 ever owned one or know much about em??? I was so gonna get it but than didnt : ( I think im gonna wait and get a bigger tank! Beautiful fish, on the end note.

nicetry

Really not a beginner fish. One of the more difficult centropyge angels to maintain. Much has to do with diet, IMO. I've kept three of them at various times. Only one thrived. The other two perished after seemig to do well for awhile. Stick with an easier species like a coral beuaty, flame, eibli, etc...

1guydude

yes i read that they are hard to keep in captivity....prob why it was still there when i recently went to the LFS. Thxs for the reply, when i get a bigger tank ill pob get a coral beauty. Can i get multiple angels, just like pps get multiple tangs. Tangs are kool but angels a just down right gorgeous imo

nikesb

the potters angel is amazing, too bad its so hard for them to thrive in aquaria environments

1guydude

it is amazing huh Nike...prob one of the best looking pygmy angels ive seen.

Just wish i had a bigger tank and they were a little more prone to the aquarium life

nikesb

theres also potters wrasse which is equally magnificent. tried 3 of them, and none of them have made it. potters wrasse are suggested to be put straight into the tank instead of qt. but tried both ways and i still have no kept one for more than 5 days

2quills

Mine seems to do alright. He/she gets fed a pretty good diet. I've had it for about 4 months now and it doesn't seem to be a coral muncher as of yet and it's in a tank full of softies. It's still young, I have it in the 50g now but will be transfering to a 120g here in the near future. So far it's not an aggresive fish like my coral beauty was. But I'll have to keep my eyes on it as it grows. Not a very easy fish to get a clear shot of their colors and paterns.

1guydude

oooo man so JEALOUS quills!!!!!!! yes i hear the wrasse mimics the angel...it would be kool to have both in one tank, kinda seeing them in their natural habitat i guess. That suks Nike talk about $ down the drain...well toilet huh lol.......just wondering how many tanks do u guys have and how long have u been doing this? man very kool fish imo. Thx for the pic quills

nicetry

4 mos isn't really a good gauge of time with this fish. It seems they fail after having had therm for quite awhile. At a marine conference a couple years back, there was a discussion about this species. The speaker asked how many people had kept a potters and a bunch of hands went up. He then asked how many had kept one for a year and most of the hands went down. When he asked how many had kept one alive for two years, there wasn't a hand left. They are a beautiful fish but not an ideal captive species.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/385238/potters-angel#post_3377670
Mine seems to do alright. He/she gets fed a pretty good diet. I've had it for about 4 months now and it doesn't seem to be a coral muncher as of yet and it's in a tank full of softies. It's still young, I have it in the 50g now but will be transfering to a 120g here in the near future. So far it's not an aggresive fish like my coral beauty was. But I'll have to keep my eyes on it as it grows. Not a very easy fish to get a clear shot of their colors and paterns.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicetry http:///forum/thread/385238/potters-angel#post_3377677
4 mos isn't really a good gauge of time with this fish. It seems they fail after having had therm for quite awhile. At a marine conference a couple years back, there was a discussion about this species. The speaker asked how many people had kept a potters and a bunch of hands went up. He then asked how many had kept one for a year and most of the hands went down. When he asked how many had kept one alive for two years, there wasn't a hand left. They are a beautiful fish but not an ideal captive species.
Agreed, 4 months is no cause to jump up and down and yell success. I've read about their habbits, diets, behaviors etc. As mentioned it hasn't quite reached adult hood yet and that's why I know I'll have to keep an eye on it. I can say for now it eats well and has put on some weight since I've had it. No signes of it being aggresive. Perhaps I'll get lucky and be the acception. Unfornutately not all fish sold in the hobby are ideal for being held in a captive situation. And if that's the case, then this fish was already doomed. I'll do my best.

mr. limpid

Nicetry that is a beautiful fish I had one just like that. The trick is to get the lighter color one vs the darker, I forgot the darker one come from a different waters and do not do well. Also they do not do well to copper I found out the hard way.

1guydude

well i hear they are native to the waters of Hawaii... the lfs had to stop getting shipments from Japan(wonder why lol)and started getting some from Hawaii's harbors instead. After everyones comments i think this fish is a little to advanced for me. Good luck with your quills, glad to hear hes eating but the next 4 months are gonna be the decision maker im thinkin!

aquaknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///forum/thread/385238/potters-angel#post_3377780
Nicetry that is a beautiful fish I had one just like that. The trick is to get the lighter color one vs the darker, I forgot the darker one come from a different waters and do not do well. Also they do not do well to copper I found out the hard way.
Not quite. Potter's angels are endemic to Hawaii, so there's only one 'water' its from. The coloration has mostly to do with the age/maturity of the fish. As the fish grows and eventually becomes the dominant male of the harem, he will continue to darken up.
I had a pair. The little one never made it out of QT, but the large one was doing great, entered the 125gal, lived fine for 2 months, then died mysteriously. I will most likely attempt a pair again in my 240gal, but straight from a collector in Hawaii, will see if the usual distribution process has anything to do with their low survivability numbers.
The pair in QT:

2quills

I will be sure to let you know what happens in the future with this fish. It sat sort three monthes at the lfs and no one bought it. I passed on it several times after owning the coral beauty that I had I was hesitant to try another dwarf. But I read up on em and decided to try so we'll see. Seven monthes captive now so it won't be long.

aquaknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/385238/potters-angel#post_3377798
I will be sure to let you know what happens in the future with this fish. It sat sort three monthes at the lfs and no one bought it. I passed on it several times after owning the coral beauty that I had I was hesitant to try another dwarf. But I read up on em and decided to try so we'll see. Seven monthes captive now so it won't be long.
There was very little optimism when I first got my Rock Beauty as well (which have dismal records), though that was 2.5 years ago and it's still alive and doing great. I really don't believe that success with Potter's angelfish is impossible. It will be a matter of finding out what the keys to success are, and move this hobby forward.

1guydude

Quote:
It will be a matter of finding out what the keys to success are, and move this hobby forward.
+1

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaKnight http:///forum/thread/385238/potters-angel#post_3377812
There was very little optimism when I first got my Rock Beauty as well (which have dismal records), though that was 2.5 years ago and it's still alive and doing great. I really don't believe that success with Potter's angelfish is impossible. It will be a matter of finding out what the keys to success are, and move this hobby forward.
Well I hope to be the minority in this case. After thinking about it, I got this fish back in mid november so it's been more like 8 months in captivity. I can tell you that I know for a fact that the local fish store that I deal with does quarantine all incoming fish for two weeks and treat with copper. Off the top of my head I'm not sure what type of copper treatment they use. The girl who runs the place has her masters in marine biology and she takes her livestock pretty seriously. Everytime I'm in there I always go to the back to check out the new arrivals in the quarantine tanks before they go out for sale. So I know this fish was treated before I got it. They're the only place in town that offers a gaurantee on their fish and I assume it's because if they survive the quarantine then they are healthy enough to sell.
From it's coloration I'm certain it's a female. I suppose it's possible that it could be full grown since I really haven't noticed much if any growth in the fish other than packing on a little bit of girth. That's fine with me, I'd rather have it stay small and I like the color that it has now.

deejeff442

very nice fish,i was tossing up the potters with the multi color angel.i pick up my multi color on thursday or friday.i would assume they are about the same as for care.i read both are difficult .
but i figure he has 300 lbs of rock to pick at and plenty of room and hiding places so why not.do you feed your potters an angelfish food with sponge?

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejeff442 http:///forum/thread/385238/potters-angel#post_3378026
very nice fish,i was tossing up the potters with the multi color angel.i pick up my multi color on thursday or friday.i would assume they are about the same as for care.i read both are difficult .
but i figure he has 300 lbs of rock to pick at and plenty of room and hiding places so why not.do you feed your potters an angelfish food with sponge?
I haven't to this point, no. I got turned on to the Rod's food a while back and once I tried it and observed how well my fish responded to it I've just stuck with that. So since the potters seems to have done well with that stuff I really haven't seen much need to go with a more specific fish food. If you get one and it doesn't seem to want to go with prepared food, it would be worth a try though. I just do a broadcast feed so everything in the tank gets fed. I also do sheets.
The fish was pretty shy at first for the first couple of weeks but seems to have settled in with its tank mates pretty well at this point. She seems to be pretty friendly with my Anthias.
These are the ingredients in the Rod's origional blend that I use...
Shrimp, Scallop, Oyster, Clam, Squid, Octopus, Perch, Green Nori (porphyra sp), Red unroasted nori (porphyra sp) Mysis, Krill, Pacific plankton (Euphausia sp.) Brine shrimp, Frozen red cyclops, Fish eggs, Oyster eggs, Golden pearls (all sizes), Broccoli, carrot, Garlic, Selco, Astaxanthin (Haematococcus pluvialis), Beta-meal (Dunalliella Salina), Freshly harvested rotifers, freshly hatched baby brine shrimp.

deejeff442

these two fish the potters and multi color seem to be the same except for the color.i read they are both shy,dont like alot of light and are expert level.i have been at this for 28 years so i know alot but not sure i would still consider myself an expert.i dont think any of us on here are.unless someone has a degree in marine biology :O)
i am pretty confident in my skills though but i wouldnt get a morish idol anytime soon.
i make my own food with 7 or 8 ingredients so hopefully he likes it when he gets here.i have actually never seen a real multi color ,they look pretty awesome to me in pics .hope i aint disappointed.
i just like the white they have .i dont see too many white fish except maybe the orange shoulder tang.
i will have to post a pic of him when he gets here.he is going into my 30 gallon qt for a while first.