Pow-pow-powerheads Any Experts?

houseplant

:notsure: :happyfish :notsure: what size power sweeps should i use in a 150 gal reef. in order to get good water aeration and flow for corals???? and are wave masters really worth getting?:notsure: :notsure: :notsure: :notsure:

viper_930

I calculated that you should get 6 of the Powersweep 228's. 6 sounds a lot to me, but ten times water turnover in a 150 gallon would be 1500, then 6 times 270 gallons/hour powerheads would be 1620.
With the Powersweeps, I don't think it would be worth it to buy a wavemaster because the ph's already rotate and create sort of a wave.

houseplant

THAT IS A LOT of machiary in my tank. can i get like 2 or three larger sweeps. and should i split 2 on one side and 2 on the other? and how high should i turn them up?:jumping:

houseplant

COULD i just used regualr power heads with no sweeping and place a couple on each side of the tank and shoot them towards each other?

fishfishkc

The PowerSweeps are nice because it keeps the from hitting the same spot in your tank or shooting water directly at your coral. By sweeping back and forth it helps create more movement. I use Powersweeps and normal power heads and I personally like the Powersweeps better. Plus you can get the Pwersweep 228 for $17.99 which is what a normal powerhead will cost you.

houseplant

where did you get that price? when i get that size into my 150 gal tank will it actually move water to where i should feel it agianst my hand.
my other question is, how deep should it be and should i have the little tube aerator on it to pull h2o from surface??:notsure: :notsure: :notsure:

fishfishkc

I know you arent supposed to post websites out here so leave your email address and I will give you the website. You should be able to feel the water movement with your hands. I would not use the aerator (but thats my personnal opinion) because I dont like many bubbles in the tank. I would place them at different levels in the tank that way they arent always pushing water right at each other. I would put one about 4 to 6 inches from the top and on the other side of the tank I would lower it another few inches. This should help keep the water moving up high and down low

robchuck

The Powersweeps are notorious for jamming up and not rotating in reef tanks due to calcium buildup. Like Fishman830 suggested, if you plan to do a reef, you're probably better off going with MaxiJet 1200s on a wavemaker.

houseplant

jets are expensive. do the sweeps come with any kinda warranty. what is the minium size jet i could get a couple of and add a wave maker to.:thinking:

gregvabch

45 sounds like the prices at my lfs..... do a search on the internet and you'll find them for less than half that, with shipping.