Powder Blue Tang won't eat

blood shrimp

So I bought one, was hoping there was a slim chance it would like my chaeto or sea lettuce. Didn't eat either, no biggie. I purchased some ocean nutrition nori, doesn't like that neither. Kinda panicking now. He is only picking microalgaes off the rocks and there's no enough. Any suggestions?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Blood Shrimp
So I bought one, was hoping there was a slim chance it would like my chaeto or sea lettuce. Didn't eat either, no biggie. I purchased some ocean nutrition nori, doesn't like that neither. Kinda panicking now. He is only picking microalgaes off the rocks and there's no enough. Any suggestions?
How long have you had this fish? Did he eat at the LFS? He is showing interest in eating (picking at your rocks) just not in what you are feeding him.

blood shrimp

I've had it for about two weeks now. Got it from live aquaria, couldn't say no for $34.99.
Yea, he doesn't seem unhealthy, just really picky. What can I give em?

sepulatian

Please remove that link! Give him time. He will eat, just keep trying. If he is picking at the rocks then he is hungry.

joncat24

try soaking some food in garlic. My fish all love the sweetwater brand zooplankton. But I soak all the other foods in garlic before feeding.

cjml

Powder blues are beautiful but are hard to keep from what I have read. Try a variety of foods-frozen formula 1 & formula 2, mysis, algea sheets,brine shrimp plus, and try some flake as well just to see which ones he will eat. Keep us posted! :happyfish

dogstar

microalgaes off the rocks
That is what they primarily feed on..try leaveing your lights on longer to help grow more .keep trying the algea sheets, hopefully it will start to eat them too.

blood shrimp

Yea I've kept the lights on the past few days in an effort to keep him alive.
Today I saw him eating some nori. So I guess all is well now :)

sepulatian

Yea I've kept the lights on the past few days in an effort to keep him alive.
Today I saw him eating some nori. So I guess all is well now :)
Don't count on "all being well now", but that is very good that he is starting to eat!!!! Once he starts eating offer different foods. Algae is their natural diet, try some formula 2. Being he is a little finicky still, add vitamines and fresh garlic to his food. They will build his immune system up. You want a healthy tang, not one that is so-so. I am very happy that he is eating some nori! That could be a good sign :joy: