Powder blue w/ a sohal in a 125g tank

flamehawk

Should I even bother trying to put a PB in with my sohal in a 125g semi reef tank w/ 100 lbs. of L/R, L/S, Fluval 404, berlin skimmer and prestine water conditions? I know they are both from the Acanthurus family. The PB is about 6 inches and the Sohal is about 8 inches. I would also take out the yellow tang out of the 125g. I think I know the answer but would like to see if anyone has had any experience with this combo. Thanks.

jimi

I would not take the chance. The sohal can be a very aggressive tang. Any serious fighting or stress on the powder may lead to a major ich outbreak. Family really does not matter, that an old rule/wives tale, all tangs will fight at first.

aquarius

My uncle had a Sohal and a Powder Blue together in a 150 f/o and he had no problems until they got ick. He now has 2 hippos, a yellow tang, a sailfin as well as the monster sized sohal.

flamehawk

I do have a UV which should help with any Ich problems. Would like to here some more opinions before I go further with this experiment.

flamehawk

Experiment may have been the wrong term. I have had these two beauties for over two years. They are currently housed in two different tanks but would like to here from people who have had experience housing them together so I could decide whether it would work. The fact that I am asking BEFORE doing it should demonstrate my concern for their well being. If the response is negative then of course I will not attempt it. So what's your experience with this , if any? Thanks.

tjswanson

They won't work. I've had these two in the same tank. And it's bad that the Sohol is bigger. Powder Blues should be the only Tang in a tank. You can try if you'd like, but I think the outcome will be bad for the Powder Blue. TJ