powder blue with ich????

sk51101

yesterday i noticed that my powder blue tang was scratching himself on the rocks, i turned on the lights this morning i noticed a few spots on him i removed him from the dt and placed him in the qt i treated him with rid-ich. he seems to be doing ok so far. should i treat my dt for ich ? or do you think it might be ok. im not sure how he got ich ive had him for over 2 months the only changes are i moved up from 75g to a 220g water parms are all good any idea what may have triggered the ich , very worried about my other fish also

sk51101

well this is the best i can get , i dont think you are going to be able to see it , when i took him out he only had a few white spots on his fins they seem to have cleared up since then dou you think the ich would go away that fast

al mc

Can't tell from the picture, but if it is Ich then you have to assume it is in the DT at this point. Beth has a thread about the Ich life cycle and different ways to eliminate the problem.
Source of the Ich.....If you went from a 75g to a 200g you probably added new rock, fish or inverts at the same time? Ich can come in on any wet surface..not just fish.

sk51101

thats the thing i have not added any new rock yet! i had about 160 lbs from my 75 and about 180 in ls that i transferd over to the new tank so im confused about how it got in there

jag2232

The ich could have been in extremely low concentration on one of your fish when you transferred your fish to your new tank. Remember, this parasite doesn't need to have --- to reproduce, so having just a single one exist can continue the life cycle. Your fish could have then been stressed from the move which made their slime coats shrink a bit and allowed the parasites to attach to the fish more rapidly. Tangs are especially vulnerable through this method because they have very thin slime coats to begin with. I remember when I had my very first two fish, a yellow tang and a snowflake eel, the tang got completely covered in ich but the eel had no visible cysts (even though it's pretty hard to see them against the eels colors)

jag2232

Eh i definitely wouldn't use copper in your DT or you are going to be ruining your beautiful new tank and not going to be able to have inverts. I'd keep your fish in your old tank or a QT if you have one big enough for all of your fish. That way your new tank can have no fish in it and the parasites will die out so when the whole process is done you can put your fish back into your new tank. There's a thread at the top of this section of the forums that is made by Beth that i'm pretty sure is the first sticky. Take a look at that and look at hypo or you can use a copper method if you aren't comfortable doing hypo. I gotta stop slacking off and finish this essay I'm not, but I'm sure if you still have some questions someone better than me will help you out in a bit.

Threads like this are the ones that get me. This person has added NOTHING new and still has ick...
So I have to ask a serious question here...what's the point of QT if you can leave the fish in it for 2 months only to add him to your DT tank and then the ick breakout later? Can someone PLEASE answer this?