Powder Brown in QT with spot on tip of fin

reefwatcher

Well I have a White Faced Surgeon in a 75 gallon QT and he has been in there for 10 days. He showed signs of ich on the 2 day and has been in full hypo for approx. 7 days. The tank is now at 1.009 sg After the first day of full hypo the few spots on his body have fallen off and not returned. However, there is one white spot on the very tip of his fin about the size of a peice of sand. I believed it to be ich, but it has been the exact same size and location for atleast 7 days now. My question is could this dot be something other than ich, or is it just a spot that hasn't fallen off yet? He is eating great mysis soaked in Vita-Chem, Purple and Green sea veggies, and Formula one pellets. I would post a pic. but he doesn't like to sit still for the camera. Thank you for your time guys!

sepulatian

Originally Posted by ReefWatcher
http:///forum/post/2538653
Well I have a White Faced Surgeon in a 75 gallon QT and he has been in there for 10 days. He showed signs of ich on the 2 day and has been in full hypo for approx. 7 days. The tank is now at 1.009 sg After the first day of full hypo the few spots on his body have fallen off and not returned. However, there is one white spot on the very tip of his fin about the size of a peice of sand. I believed it to be ich, but it has been the exact same size and location for atleast 7 days now. My question is could this dot be something other than ich, or is it just a spot that hasn't fallen off yet? He is eating great mysis soaked in Vita-Chem, Purple and Green sea veggies, and Formula one pellets. I would post a pic. but he doesn't like to sit still for the camera. Thank you for your time guys!
Welcome to the boards!!! It could be a spot of lymphocystis. Mark the day that the other spots were gone. If this spot is not gone in another five days then count from the previous point. If this spot falls off then start counting the three weeks from then. Do you have a magnifying glass? Get a close look at this spot. If it is clumpy looking then it is a spot of lymph, if it is smooth and round then it is ich.

reefwatcher

Ah, ok thank you for the info! I looked up info on Lymphocystis and understand there is no cure, but it is usually not deadly. If it turns out to be Lymph and once it has ruptured after the 4 or more week period should I move him to another tank so he would have a low chance of reinfection? thanks for the welcome! I've been a long time reader for all kinds of information.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by ReefWatcher
http:///forum/post/2538680
Ah, ok thank you for the info! I looked up info on Lymphocystis and understand there is no cure, but it is usually not deadly. If it turns out to be Lymph and once it has ruptured after the 4 or more week period should I move him to another tank so he would have a low chance of reinfection? thanks for the welcome! I've been a long time reader for all kinds of information.
If the spot does not move (drop off) then it is lymphoystis. Lymph has no cure, but it certainly can be overcome. It is a lot like the common cold. It can come at any time, when the fishes immune system is not high, but will not kill the fish unless it is extreme. With proper diet, nutritional supplements, clean water, and proper housing, this rarely becomes an issue. If it does, it is easily taken care of. You just have to take care of whatever is stressing the fish. It is commonly the diet. Your fish is new. Watch this spot and get a close look at it, if you can.