POWDER BROWN TANG PROBLEM

andy

Need some advice, I have a Powder Brown Tang I introduced into the tank a couple months ago, hes about 3 or 4 inches. Since then everytime I have introduced a new fish he attacks until that new fish gets stressed out and dies! Especially with other tangs... What would be a fish strong enough to survive. I thought about a Huma Trigger.. any info is appreciated....
Andy

fishgirl

The trigger would be fine with the aggressive tang, but I'd have to find out what other fish you have to give the true OK. By the way -- big mistake to add the tang before you had all th efish you wanted. Tangs, no matter what kind, always need to be th elast introduction to a community. If it's an aggressive tank with eels and triggers and such, then that could be reconsidered. But for th emost part tangs should always be th elast introduction, since it's thier nature to be territorial. Much luck,
Fishgirl

otto13

i was under the impression that should not mix tangs unless in numbers greater than four. i have mine with a cowfish and a valentini puffer. does great. not mean at all.

fishgirl

The trigger shoud be fine.
Tangs CAN be mixed, just not with ones of the same body shape, or same species. Powder browns and yellows are different ebough to be kept together since they are of diff genus.
Good luck with the trigger!

reptilicus

Depending on how big your tank is and other things, it is possible to put numerous tangs in the same tank. I know a 180-gallon tank with a yellow, purple, sailfin, blue, and achilles tang and they all get along well. In my 180, I currently have a yellow, but I eventually plan on adding a purple, blue, and achilles/sohal tang. The Acanthurus genus (powder blue, poweder brown, achilles, etc) seems to be the most aggressive of the tangs. What fish have you put in that he has killed? If you put in something he does not see as a threat, then you may have more success. Also, how big is your tank? Powder browns are a very active fish, and you would probably want a tank 100-gallons plus to keep one long-term.
Regards,
Tom

andy

He has killed- a medium size Blue Tang a small FoxFace and a medium size Coral Beauty
Andy

reptilicus

Hi,
yeah all those fish are fairly similar in diet and behaviour to him, so that's probably why you went after him. Something completely differnt like a Thalassoma wrasse (moon wrasse etc) would probably fit in very well. Dragon wrasse is another. Wrasses are a great fish very interesting fish, very active, very colourful, and interesting to watch I don't know why more people don't keep them.