Powder Brown Tang

mscarpena

My LFS has a nice sized 5" powder brown tang. Me and the owner are pretty tight because I buy lots of stuff from him. I asked him how much he wanted for it and he said $20.00. I said wow I'll take it, they are normally about $60.00 around here. It has no ick or any blemishes and appears to be in good shape. It was rubbing on the rocks a little bit the first night he got it in, but was swimming well today. He got it in on Tuesday and it is eating well. I had one about 4 years ago before I really knew a lot about SW and I had it for about 2 years. After about 2 years it got some ick and I treated it wrong with medicine and killed it. I also was not feeding that guy enough greens. Since he has a few tangs in that tank he said he did dose with copper. I will quarintine for about 6 weeks. I am just wondering anybodies experience with these guys. How much greens do you guys feed your tang and what variety. I have cheato and caluerpa growing in a fuge that I plan to feed him. I also plan to feed him died sheets of algae and spurila flakes. Any other reccomendations?? Also I read somewhere reef safe with caution what in a reef tank would these guys eat. Thanks for your help in advance.

ainswoke

They can be extremely aggressive. Mine was fine in a reef for about three years. They have strange success rates, and commonly, as in my case, they suddenly overnight take a turn for the worse and just die. Actually favors meaty foods compared to the nori I normally fed. If you can get a good specimen they are great.

Had mine for 6 month now and he is a model citizen in the 125 reef. Eats anything I put in the tank. Just be careful when adding new livestock, they like to be "the big kid on the block" for a few days

jiminbing

I just purchase a 3 inch powder brown tang on Sunday. When I put it in the tank my coral beauty angel was slightly aggressive towards it(even though its smaller) but, they're all getting along now. I asked the LFS guy if in needed to feed it anything different other than the regular diet of mysis, brine shrimp and flakes. He said no. So later that evening when it was feeding time the tang watched the mysis float by it. Yesterdays feeding went better, I saw it eat a few brine shrimp. I too am interested in what to feed it.

Originally Posted by jiminbing
http:///forum/post/2622609
I just purchase a 3 inch powder brown tang on Sunday. When I put it in the tank my coral beauty angel was slightly aggressive towards it(even though its smaller) but, they're all getting along now. I asked the LFS guy if in needed to feed it anything different other than the regular diet of mysis, brine shrimp and flakes. He said no. So later that evening when it was feeding time the tang watched the mysis float by it. Yesterdays feeding went better, I saw it eat a few brine shrimp. I too am interested in what to feed it.
Soon he will be eating everything you give him. I give my tangs a small sheet of seaweed everyday to keep them occupied and less aggressive. It works!
They also steal the Formula Two off my angels

bkvreef

Originally Posted by jiminbing
http:///forum/post/2622609
I got one about 2 months ago and my coral beauty and sailfin were a little agressive and it didn't eat for a day or two.
However, it is doing great and nibbles on the glass for the algae periodically.
I feed it a variety of flakes, mysis, brine, and seaweed sheets.
It has done very well and I am looking forward to moving it into my new 220g soon.

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by Reeferrookie
http:///forum/post/2622004
Had mine for 6 month now and he is a model citizen in the 125 reef. Eats anything I put in the tank. Just be careful when adding new livestock, they like to be "the big kid on the block" for a few days

I agree with this, most Acanthurus Tangs will be very nasty to new additions. My Achilles was brutal to new fish for a few days.