Powder Tangs

thebrohem

Hello. So, i dont want to seem dumb but, a fellow salt hobbyist mentioned that for his 150 gallon he had a reef tank and all was fine. He got a powder blue tang and hasnt bought a new fish since. When i asked him why, he stated because once you add a powder tang of any kind, thats it, you can not add anymore fish because the tang will attack the new fish. Is that usually true, or is that some sort of myth kind of thing? Thanks.

wolf_man

It all depend son the fish itself. My PBT never went near my Oscellaris when i placed them in the DT. But not all fish are the same.

culp

my Sailfin tang attacks any thing i put into the tank for 48 hours. and i mean any thing new. he once even attacked a new piece of live rock i put in there to make a cave.

evanjah

if its not to difficult i would re-arrange rocks. The fish get territorial but in a new territory it will not be top dog. It will be looking to start a new territory. Thats my 2 cents

R

rcreations

True and not true. I have a large powder blue tang. After the tang, 6 months later I added a sargassum trigger and a dogface puffer. The tang didn't bother either of them at all. But then a few months later I added a lunare wrasse and the powder blue went insane, constantly attacking the wrasse. Now months later it still goes after the wrasse, but the wrasse has gotten so big that it can hold its own.
So I'd say a powder blue is more likely to attack certain fish. I'm guessing the ones it thinks are agressive, which is why it never bothered the puffer and sargassum.

srfisher17

IMO; this is the ultimate "its an individual fish" question. The PB I have now is a big, total wuss. The one I had for many years before moving would viciously attack any newcomer. I think there are more of this type than the wussy type.