Power compact lighting ques.

asbury030

Ok im goin to buy a 4x55w PC for my 29g. I want a blue color to my tank. here are my choices are 10,000K, 6,700K,actinic 03,50/50,blue 7,100k thanks in advance.
-Kris-

viper_930

You mean you want color like 50/50 bulbs? Then you can get 2x10,000k and 2xactinic 03, OR 4x 50/50.

db

If it was me I would get 2 10,000K and 2 Actinic 03. The Actinic 03 is not really a blue color. I find that it seems to be more Purple. The blue bulbs will give you more of a blue look, but it wouldn't be as blue as the 20,000K.

cap'n pete

IMHO stay away from the 7,100K bulbs, these are "blue" but not as good as the 03 actinics. I have this same lighting system above my 29G (just installed two weeks ago). I have 2 x 10K and 2 x 03 actinics. The bonus of this setup is that you can have the actinics on one ballast and the 10K's on the other. You can then place each on a seperate timer to allow for the actinics to fire first and shut off last (Dawn & Dusk effect). This also keeps your fish from becoming freaked by going from complete darkness to 220 watts in an instant, since PC's are instant on.
As far as SPS, if water parameters are peak, and circulation is good, I would think you could get away with some hardier specimens. SPS doing well under PC only is not unheard of... sucess depends upon great water and good bulbs... the Hellolights bulbs seems to be similiar to the Phillips I owned previously (Custom Sealife). Once the need replaced I'll be using Corallife replacements or CS if I can find them still.
HTH

reefboi147

I believe that a clam would do just fine..I have a M.Clam in my tank and I have PC lighting and hes doing great!!! its a brown/gold with a tint if green. IMO, he sould be fine!
Reefboi

reefboi147

my lighting is a Coralife 130Watts, one 50/50 and the other 10K. I've had him since October of last year, and since then he has grown a quarter-inch of new shell and hes still growin'!
Reefboi: