Power compacts for corals?

dmh

I've read that for corals you need 10K lumens per square meter. I have a 55 gallon tank (48 x 12) which means it is only .38 sqaure meters (roughly), which would indicate that I need only 3800 lumens (which seems ridiculously low). I am aiming for a setup (which Im building) with 2 96w power compacts (a 10K daylight that puts out 8100 lumens, and a ActBlue thats pumps out another 2480, for a total of 10580 lumens).
I realize that on a watt-for-watt basis PCs put out *much* more light than VHOs, but can that formula be right? If so, is 2 96w PCs going to hurt anything? Will I fry my corals? That's nearly 3 times the recomended light output.

dmh

Lumens is the actual light output. Wattage only measures the power that goes through the bulb. Power compacts are much more efficient than standard flourescents (Ive heard anywhere from 2 to 4 times the light output of VHOs). I think when people talk about watts per gallon, they are generally talking about VHOs or MH, so the W/Gal method doesn't really work for PCs. I read the 10000 lumen/sq meter on another site, but it just doesn't sound right.

dmh

Well, we can figure this whole thing out if someone can come up with the lumen rating on a 110W VHO bulb. I would think it would be on the box. Anyone? :)

piscesblue

I run 4x36w pc's on my 30gal and they definately pack a punch, although they look awfully dim. I use 1 36" 20k NO bulb and 1 36" actinic NO bulb to add the brightness that I desire. Also, the PC's actinic bulb puts out a very blue light which only makes my yellow stars glow. The NO actinic has a purple light which makes everything glow. A very pleasing combination to the eye and the corals.

dmh

Exactly what I was looking for rblehm. I think I'll go with the 2 96w PCs and add a couple of the bluest (purple) NOs I can find for effect. Thanks!

nm reef

I added 2x110 vho(uri actinic blue) to my 2x65 pc combo and 2x65 10k pc's........got to tell ya....I like it........all this is on a 55 and thats 8.5 watts + per gal.........the difference was astounding...........much better color to every thing.........

fish

I have 2 96W on my 58 gallon reef ready tank and it is doing great. I have button coral,yellow polyps,green brain and xenia. One is white and one is blue. Hope this helps!
Fish :D