Power Head Question

N

normis

All,
I recently purchased a Maxi Jet 900 submersible pump/power head. I want to use it to provide some circulation for the tank (a 46 gal. bowfront - not filled yet). It seems that this power head can be set up with an undergravel filter adapter or a prefilter grid. It also has a Venturi feature.
The instructions state that "water flow decreases when the Venturi feature is used. If no air is desired - or if you prefer to use your maxi jet with a prefilter grid, do not install the air tube."
OK, so firstly, I have no idea whether to set it up with an an undergravel filter adapter or a prefilter grid. I have no undergravel filter, so I'm thinking the latter. Also, since I want to use it for circulation, I guess I don;t need the air tube either.
To make a long story short (too late :D), I have no idea how to use this thing.
:help: Please!!!

petem

I had the same question. My power head is the Marineland Penguin 550. I dont have an undergravel filter. I set it up as is, with the extra tube provided for air. There were tons of bubbles visible when the unit was switched on. When I removed the air tube, I coudn't tell if the unit was working. I had to put my hand in the water in front of the discharge to feel if the water was circulating. It was. I assume this is okay?
Also, would I need two powerheads for a 72gal tank?

tdelinski

I have 3 Maxjet900s, a Mag7 return pump and a Aquaclear 500 on a 55. I think you may want more then one PH. It is funny to watch the new fish getting use to the wirl pool.
Good Luck
Tom D.

goobernif

actually it's a good idea to turn off your ph's while adding new fish, it may be funny, but it disorients the fish, causing more fish and may lead to death... not fun anymore...