Power Head ?

D

dubbin1

OK my wife and I are all new to this and I'm sure we will have more and more questions. I have been reading through the forum and notice you guys mention Power Heads. Could someone please tell me what that is. Is there anything that we can introduce into the system at this time? All the chemical levels and such seem fine. It has only been running for one day but in some reading it said to help speed up the system, we could add a fish in it. We do have live rock in it now and would like to know if there is any special care we should give it? Thats all I will bother you guys & gals with for now.
Thanks
Dwayne

drkphx

A powerhead is a small sealed motor that cirulates the water in the tank. If the tank has only been running for a day the chemicals haven't had a chance to build up in the system yet. Give it some time. I wouldn't add any fish until the cycle is over. Certain fish might survive but it will still stress the fish.

brians

Powerheads circulate the water. You will want to shoot for atleast a 10x turnover rate which would be about 460gph on a 46g tank. You can add any external filters into this total.
All your levels seem fine because the nitrogen cycle hasn't even started yet. You don't want to add any fish until the cycle is complete. To start the cycle you need a source of ammonia. Adding a fish or two will help start a cycle because the fish waste is a source of ammonia but this is cruel and most fish except damsels will not survive it.
A better way to do it is to throw in a raw cocktail shrimp and let it decompose. First you will see your ammonia rise followed by nitrItes. Then these levels will fall followed by a reading of nitrAtes. Once ammonia is 0, nitrIte is 0, and you have some reading of nitrAtes, the cycle is complete. Then you should do a partial water change and you will be ready to add some cleanup crew members or a fish or two.
Live rock doesn't need much, just the proper temperature, salinity, some circulation, and maybe some lighting for coraline algae growth.

D

dubbin1

So I'm looking for the levels rise and then fall? Is the powerhead a must? And one last question for this round. I saw someone on this board say that bubbles should not be in a saltwater aquarium. Is that true?
Thanks
Dwayne

brians

Yep, the nitrogen cycle basically works like this.. As ammonia builds, beneficial bacteria forms that processes the ammonia and turns it into nitrItes. Then another beneficial bacteria processes the nitrItes and turns it into the less toxic nitrAte. NitrAte will always be in your aquarium but you must not let it build up too much, routine water changes are one way to lessen them. Ammonia and nitrItes on the other hand are very toxic and should always be at zero.
So in summary, when ammonia and nitrItes rise then fall to zero you will be left with nitrAtes and your cycle is complete.
A powerhead would definitely be a good idea. You have to keep the water circulated, if not you will have nasty algae problems among other things. Like I mentioned before, you should try to turn the water over atleast 10 times an hour.
The reason bubbles are undesirable in saltwater tanks is because of salt creep. Salt creep is a messy salt residue that will be caused by the bubbles popping on the surface and splashing water around.

D

dubbin1

OK I'm off to pick up a powerhead and a cocktail shrimp.
Thanks Again
Dwayne