Power heads and heaters

zoboo2

We are setting up a 125 gallon FOWLR tank how many power heads should we have and what kind? The kind you direct or the ones that move by themselves? Also how many heaters and where do i place all this stuff in the tank? Thank you for the help!

jumpfrog

For a FOWLR there really isn't any need for powerheads. Powerheads are normally used in reef tanks to ensure enough water movement for corals and other inverts that feed out of the water column. I ran a 125 aggressive tank for several years without a single powerhead.
I'm assuming since you're asking about heater placement you don't have a sump system. That would be the ideal location. Without a sump I recommend placing it where water flows by/around it and on the opposite side of your thermometer.
What are planning to put in the tank?

zoboo2

Well I have never had a salt tank before so I want to just get basic hardy fish. I have asked for suggestions but got no response from people.

uberlink

I think powerheads are less necessary in a fish only system, but still not a bad idea. They keep the water moving, keep heat even, keep pollutants (like uneaten food) suspended in your water column so they can be pulled out by your filters, and they give your fish current to swim against (which several authoritative sources including Fenner state is important to the long-term health of your fish).
If I were you, I'd get a couple of Maxi-Jet 900s and place them on the lower rear corners of the back wall of your tank pointing in an X pattern across to the opposit corner of the tank. You could also attach some of those Flo deflectors that rotate to create more random currents. If you ever make it a reef, then I'd add two more of the MaxiJets and place them up higher and a bit inward on the back wall.

uberlink

By the way, for fish with a 125 tank and no reef, you can really do darn near anything (except some of the species that require really massive swimming space). Do consider whether you might ever want to make it a reef tank, as that will knock out some non-reef safe species that will eat your corals and invertebrates. The difficult thing is that there are just so many variables fish to fish, and you really have to do some study to decide what you really want and what is compatible with those species.
Best bet is to get a good book on the subject. Everyone on here will recommend Fenner's "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist," if you don't already have it. There are also some good books purely devoted to writeups on hundreds of species of appropriate aquarium fish. Pick up one of those, decide on one or two species that you can't live without, and then choose some additional species that are compatible with those.

zoboo2

Thanks for the help! I do have the Fenners book and please don't everyone attack me, but though it has a lot of info I find it to be general. Which I suppose a book has to be to apply to everyone. I have alot of specific questions and these boards help alot. My LFS is sooooo busy all the time it is hard to talk to someone there. This would definately not be a first fish, but could I have a hippo tank in a 125 gallon as long as it was compatible with everyone else in the tank?

jumpfrog

Since you said you were going FOWLR you have lots of options, but, you may want to make a choice between aggressive fish or community fish. Once you make that decision then your choice of fish becomes more limited. Scott W. Michael's Marine Fish book is great for learning more about the varieties of fish that are out there and their compatability.
In my 125 aggressive I kept yellow tail wrasse, huma huma, niger, sailfin tang, naso tang, tomato clown, 3 different morays. Made for a nice set up. But, I was limited on what else I could add to them. Never could add any snails or crabs for example.
Just something to think about.