Power Loss - Temperature Disaster - Help!

richl

Lost electricity for 3 full days. Temperature in 125 gal FOWLR tank dropped from 78 to 60 over 1st 2 days. Had battery powered air pumps and air stones, but no other circulation or heat. Electric came back on this afternoon and temp has climbed to 68. I'll let it come up slowly by tank heaters. All fish seem ok and swimming but a couple seem stressed and one tiny chromis is missing. All are eating well. Cleaner shrimp are alive but minimally active. A brittle star (only star in tank) was found wedged between rocks and seems barely alive. Except for temp, water parameters are ok. Does the star have a chance of recovery? should I move him to a quarantine tank? I'm afraid that the ammonia might spike if he dies. Any advise will be appreciated. THANKS

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL http:///t/388828/power-loss-temperature-disaster-help#post_3431631
Lost electricity for 3 full days. Temperature in 125 gal FOWLR tank dropped from 78 to 60 over 1st 2 days. Had battery powered air pumps and air stones, but no other circulation or heat. Electric came back on this afternoon and temp has climbed to 68. I'll let it come up slowly by tank heaters. All fish seem ok and swimming but a couple seem stressed and one tiny chromis is missing. All are eating well. Cleaner shrimp are alive but minimally active. A brittle star (only star in tank) was found wedged between rocks and seems barely alive. Except for temp, water parameters are ok. Does the star have a chance of recovery? should I move him to a quarantine tank? I'm afraid that the ammonia might spike if he dies. Any advise will be appreciated. THANKS
Just get air to the tank, the temp isn't bad. Don't worry about removing any "sick" fish or stars...oxygen is the most important thing.

al&burke

Sorry to hear this I would bring the temp up slowly and add some new carbon to your filtration incase some things have died. Good luck let us know how you make out. I don't think the star will cause a huge spike if it does die - just keep an eye on him and everything.

flower

Has your power been restored or are you still in the dark? I thought you were still in the dark. If you have power...I agree to raise your tamp slow and follow Al&Burkes advice. The brittle star won't cause much of a problem even if it dies. If the shrimp makes it you know the critters are going to be fine.
Now...work on getting a generator for any future blackouts...That's what I did.

scsinet

The metabolism of aquatic life is going to slow down at lower temperatures, making things seem "barely alive." Cold water is far better than warm, as oxygenation isn't a problem.
I've had tanks drop this low on numerous occasions and have never lost an animal as a result. You'll probably be just fine, as long as you do what you said and raise the temperature slowly.
Please let us know your results!

J

jstdv8

Luckily its just a FOWLR, i lost my softball sized birdsnest and a big brown acro to a recent loss of heat. was able to save a bit of the acro but the birdsnest was a total loss. my fish didn't seem to mind much other than they slowed down like SCSI said

richl

All in all, things turned out much better than expected. I lost one tiny green chromis, but all other fish are doing fine. My 4 shrimp also survived as did the brittle star. I can't find the chromis at all, so my guess is that he secumbed and something in the rocks ate him. I was very worried about any significant change in temperature, but I guess they can take drops much better than increases. I'll still look into getting a generator, but right now they are scare in the northeast. I have plenty of extra batteries for the air pumps if this happens again. Thanks everyone for your comforting words and suggestions.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL http:///t/388828/power-loss-temperature-disaster-help#post_3432943
All in all, things turned out much better than expected. I lost one tiny green chromis, but all other fish are doing fine. My 4 shrimp also survived as did the brittle star. I can't find the chromis at all, so my guess is that he secumbed and something in the rocks ate him. I was very worried about any significant change in temperature, but I guess they can take drops much better than increases. I'll still look into getting a generator, but right now they are scare in the northeast. I have plenty of extra batteries for the air pumps if this happens again. Thanks everyone for your comforting words and suggestions.
I had to order my generator online, they didn't charge a cent for shipping, which is good considering the weight. Best $400.00 I ever spent, and hope to never have to use. In my emergency corner I also have 2 heavy duty extension cords, a power strip and a big cooler.
You hadn't been online and I feared the worst, glad it all turned out pretty good considering, sorry for the few losses you had.

bender77

I got my generator off of craigslist a few years ago. It was brand new. Less than 20hrs on it, and they guy needed money. Was selling it for 1/2 price. The DH went and checked it out and bought it. It nice to have it for peace of mine. I always worry in the winter.