Power Out!!!

beaslbob

Originally posted by Dacia
With the power going out, how long would it take before things started going so bad that, eeek, fish and other critters would die?

I depends on your system. In most systems a power outage will slow down most of the nitrogen cycle. If the outage is only a couple of hours the system will recover with no loss of fish or critters. If the outage was longer then one may want to open the system up for more air. Removing the hood for instance will increase the gas exchange. But even that may not be necessary unless there is a really extended outage. Then you would have to set the system up like they did before electricity was available. Or get a electrical generator.
I hope everyone's systems survived this outage with no loss.

tangman99

It looked like a huge mess up in New York. I'm glad I don't work in Manhatten any longer. It's amazing how much we realize out dependancy on electricity when we don't have it.
Good luck to everyone that had to live through this one. I hope everything with your tank comes out fine.

stillfrodo

I'm on long island we lost power form around 4pm till 33am this morning. All I have is some snials in my tnak as it is new so wasn't to concerned about tnak crashing. First chance i get when everything calms down is a decnt generator. Some parts of where I live are still without power 24 hours is way to much. I could only imagine if I had fish in there. Hope everybody affected by this outage is okay.

dburr

some saltwater fish books tell you what to do if you have a power outage, one of mine says put a blanket around the top of the tank and the sides to keep the heat in,
Do you know how hot it is outside!!!!!!! :D I HAD to do it.
We went out for 3 hours. My back up works! Then my light strip triped and my pump ran for about 10 hours on my battery:eek: , drained it all the way down. LOL

lagatbezan

Well, I live in Long Island New York, and lost power from 4:40 PM till 1:30 PM next day afternoon!!!!!! It was brutal!!! so far all of the fish and and invert. look ok!!!

dacia

Originally posted by beaslbob:
I hope everyone's systems survived this outage with no loss.
I agree! It would be a shame to lose fish for reasons not under your control!
And no sooner did I complain about the power lines in my neighborhood did I lose power here for 10 hours...no storms, no rain, nothing. Someone must have sneezed near the pole with the line that runs to my house. :mad: All my fish are doing fine though. :) Someday Duke Power will replace the transformers that they admitted last year were bad...but I suppose that would cost them
too much money. :mad: :mad: :mad: