Power Outage?

reefmad

how long would it be okay for a 55 gallon reef tank fully stocked corals and few fish to go without power before problems start to arise?i know not week but is it safe for like 2 or 3 days ? i dont have to worry bout temp..problems for recent huricanes and Ivan on way.. So wondering about this ??

viet-tin

im thinking you should be ok for a few days...just need some water movement...maybe a few battery operated air pumps would do you some good. But im no expert so ill let someone else come and clear this up for you.

eg_hatch

Battery air pumps are good, but you going need like 3-4 of those..and after the couple of days do a water change.
But if you got a generator thats the best.

streetdoc

Hey ReefMad. I decided to go a different route and use a power inverter (makes 110 VAC out of 12 VDC) I had to go with a 400 watt because that was all they had in stock at the time but it is enough to power a 20" TV / VCR combo. It can be connected to a car cigarrette lighter plug or clipped directly on the battery terminals. Because of the fact I could be at work for up to 72 hours at a stretch if a strom would hit, I decided to buy a deep cycle marine battery to power the inverter. When a storm approaches, I plug in my battery charger and connect it to the battery, the battery to the inverter, and the inverter to my main pump in the sump and let it go. The charger will keep the battery topped off while the power is on and the battery will keep things going when power goes out. The charger will recharge the battery when power comes back on. A generator will not work while I am away because there is no one around to refuel it for me. I can always use my car battery when I return from work if the marine battery is dead and of course I can recharge that one by starting the car periodically. The inverter will also power fans, AC air bubblers, living room lamps, etc. a 400w will no turn on a 130watt PC strip ( I tried) a larger one should though.
I am just now in the process of testing the battery run time for an extended peiod. The Battery is a 875 marine Amp rated battery and the pump it is connected to is a Mag drive 950. It has been running for 18 hours now. I'll post the final results.

12v Through hull boat bilge pump (400gph by RULE) looks an acts just like a power head. Clip it to a deep cycle battery and voila....I personally have a few set and ready for the inevitable down power lines.
It will keep things moving and I even have a cheapy solar panel charger to recharge with as I keep two batteries for my boat so ones always charging while the other is in use.
ScottbytheSea

reefmad

HOPE EVERYONE AFFECTED MAKES IT WELL!
GOOD LUCK AND THANKS FOR THE REPLIES.
IM INLAND IN COL. GA. AND GOT HIT HARD FROM OPAL SO THINKING THIS WILL BE AS BAD OR WORSE . LOST POWER THEN FOR 8 DAYS.
GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!!
REEFMAD

nemo lover

I just lost my whole tank due to no power for two weeks because of frances. I also lost half my roof and some other personal property. Hurricanes suck!! :((((((

reefmad

IM GOING TO BUY GENERATOR THIS PM IF I CAN STILL FIND ONE .. JUST IN CASE.. I ALSO REMEBER MY VIBE PONTAIC HAS A AC PLUG SO I CAN USE IT SOME IF NEED BE FOR A AIR PUMP THEN ALTERNATE WITH THE FILTER.LET YOU KNOW HOW I COME OUT WITH GENERATOR TONIGHT. SORRY FOR CAPS LOST CONTACT.

nemo lover

If you get a generator make sure to get enough gas to last for a month. Some people here are still with out power. For a while there was very few gas stations with gas, and if they did have gas the line was like a couple blocks long with cops directing traffic. Good luck.
:)

flatzboy

Originally posted by Kip4130
excuse my boating ignorance.. but are those pumps meant for continous duty?

I'm not sure how long but on my 16ft. flats skiff I got a 20g. bait well that has a rule bilge pump connected with some airline tubing and the longest I've had it running was about 2 days when I went camping and fished at night and the morning and it ran fine I had it on the whole time and it barely sucks any of my baterry down. I'm not sure if they will go 3-4 days.

streetdoc

My set up made it 29 1/2 hours of continous running before the warning buzzer sounded. Not sure how much longer it would have made it before the pump stopped. Hope that helps someone.

reefmad

well just like i thought no generators no where.. no batteries either but already had plenty just was nuts in columbus ga. tonight at walmart and lowes lots of people have came up here from pc and mobile area. But luckly i have tried out the plug on the pontaic vibe (115v volt contecter for pc in car) and it ran the bak pak and movement was great so thats all my worry about no power can do without all else have bought back up battery for car and also already had a jump pak for car battery.. and thinking few hrs a day would be plenty.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I ran out and bought a generator as Hurricane Frances approached which I used during the day when the lights were off. Ivan, would have been another matter as we were required to evacuate. Generators don't work when you're not around to use them. In this case, the deep cell battery with the inverter would have come in handy...at least for 3 days, maybe. Its not easy keeping tanks when you live around the coast.

I have them in my commercial fishin boat (400 gph through hull rules,these have a longer lower end then the standard ones nice if water drops lower but not necessary),and run them almost evey day for eight or nine hours a trip keeping many hook baits alive and well.
I also run a 2500gph 12v pump by rule in a 50 gal circlular tank keeping 150 lbs + of fluke alive or 35 or more 10inch Manhaden Bait fish in 77 degree water all night......And thats demanding believe me!
These pumps can be run submerged or not but keep wire connections out of contact with groundable service and keep wire ty-ins high so water creep cant sneak down and cause a short or ground out.I taped mine high so that cant happen with over spray from misting.
Just wanted to let some know you have another option and it works just have some Deep cycles or your car batteries handy and charged.
I personally ty-wrapped(2 rule 400gph) them to 2 plastic hanger (hook parts only) and used them as hanger........Theese were new pumps not contaminated ones and it worked awsome.
If I had to leave my house for evac I would place one pump on one battery (Each) and you will have it made for a few days if not alot more. You could probably rig a timer for the second to kick in a day or two latter for the long haul you need down south provided your house stays in one piece.
Hell wrap your tank in tarp or shrink wrap with side venting while your at it if your worried about the roof. Work good when I gutted house around mine even spray painted.
Just some ideas folks, feel free to pick my over protective mind.
ScottbytheSea

N

newreefers

during Frances I lost power for 5 days, on my 125 I ran 3 battery operated air stones, and on my 10 I ran one. A friend had nothing for his tank (a 120) so I gave him my spare battery operated air stone. Neither one of lost one item in our tanks. We have everything from fish, clams, anemones, hard and soft corals. I'm not saying this is the best method, but it worked in a pinch.

Sounds like the cheapest and best Idea I've seen yet.
I have had LR. and Corals get dead spots where the bubbles have hit it directly( Ozone Burn?). So just keep stones away from your Goodies.
Glad to hear you made it Well
ScottbytheSea

flatzboy

Originally posted by scottbythesea
Sounds like the cheapest and best Idea I've seen yet.
I have had LR. and Corals get dead spots where the bubbles have hit it directly( Ozone Burn?). So just keep stones away from your Goodies.
Glad to hear you made it Well
ScottbytheSea

Hey scottbythesea were do you live in road island?? My fsmily on my step dads side is all from up there, and they used to be commercial fisherman. My grandpa owns a ship yard up there called I believe salt pond rail way his name is Kenneth Gallup does that ring a bell and my dads name is kenneth Gallup III. My uncle owns Road Island engine Berry Gallup. I know its a very small state up there ans saw that your a commercial fisherman so figured I'd ask if you know any of my family up there.