Power Outage.

theappe

What should I have incase my power goes out for a long time? I was just thinking an air pump to keep the O2 in the tank up? Anything else I should have?

integral9

I'd say get an UPS (Uninteruptable Power Supply) and plug 1 of your PH and heater into it. That should keep you tank going for a couple of hours to a day or so depending on how big the UPS is and how much power the PH and heater draw. You can get an UPS at any office / computer store. The bigger, the better.

theappe

well i live in miami. and chances are is that the outage is gonna be more than a day. :) Ive considered the ups already. I have a generator already. But do you think the air pump will be a good idea? or if I get a ups will I need the air pump?

mandarin w

If you have a generator already, then don't worry. You are 90% there. You can plug you pump (filter) into that and run it. If you don't want to run it the whole time, then maybe 2hours off, 1 hour on. The biggest problem when the power goes out isn't the oxygen. It is the fish poo, and other junk building up in the water. Plus running your filter will take that out, plus the benifit of circulating your water. If it was just a matter of putting oxygen in your tank, you could just take a picture or a big cup and take water from the tank and pour it back in from about a foot above your tank, This would put air bubbles in the water for a little while. Next to the fish poo building up in the tank, other big concerns should be temp. Tank getting warm or cold. If it starts getting warm, you will need to go get bags of ice. and float it in your tank, make sure not to let the bag leak the water in your tank. Chances are that won't be RO/DI water.

gatorwpb

Im hoping that Ernesto will just be a small storm and maybe miss us completely. :mad:
There are battery operated pumps you can use. Ive even read about people using battery operated cake mixers to keep the water stirred.

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by theappe
well i live in miami. and chances are is that the outage is gonna be more than a day. :) Ive considered the ups already. I have a generator already. But do you think the air pump will be a good idea? or if I get a ups will I need the air pump?
I live on the beach APE and the first hurricane we had last year I lost everything! Then I got an air pump just to get Oxygen in the water, Now i got the Gennie, and thats the first thing i plug in, i dont even plug the lights in, JUST the filtration worst case scenario, To at least keep the water quality high, Your corals will make it,, I just make beleive it is a cloudy day on the reef! lol good luck!

gatrpetvet

I am probably jinxing us but I am not that worried about Ernesto, GatorWPB

BUt I don't have a generator so I hope I am right. All I have right now is a backup oxygenator......hopefully since we are in WPB we will just get a lot of rain and some wind and thats it?!?! Good luck!

yupi1982

ok calm dawn you guys...i think poeople is getiing frustrating and overeacting about this storm
i hope nothing bad happens but you all know how is the news.....the get all stress uot and make you feel the same way :jumping:

yupi1982

Originally Posted by theappe
theappe I work in Hialeah maybe you can help me get this mantis out of my tank.....or we could get together to trade or just to share some experien
ces man

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by yupi1982
theappe I work in Hialeah maybe you can help
me get this mantis out of my tank.....or we could get together to trade or just to share some experien
ces man
Im not really too worried about this storm either, but I live on a block where if somebody just farts really loud, the power goes out, it has never been the same here where i live after WILMA, so i got the gennie just in case!

yupi1982

Originally Posted by MiaHeatLvr
Im not really too worried about this storm either, but I live on a block where if somebody just farts really loud, the power goes out, it has never been the same here where i live after WILMA, so i got the gennie just in case!
whwre exacly are u located dude.....anything to trade..or share..i work in hialeah and live in ives dairy road!!!

yupi1982

I Live in SoBe! nothing to sell or trade yet!!!! how about you? but I will keep you in MIND! Thanx!
you got it pal :jumping:

crzyfshygy

Whats the gennie????