power outage ??

zippy557

What does everyone do with there tanks when the power goes out .... do people have generators for them specifically, have people lost there tanks due to power going out ???

small triggers

I dont have a generator for this tank, but when we build our house (and a 300+ tank) we will. But as for now, i keep some blankets and comforters near incase. Thats about it,,,

zippy557

just wondering cause it seems the storm is getting bad and may lose power, could be a few hours ... normally is
im more worried about the flow, i dont have heaters running in my tank.

flower

Originally Posted by zippy557
http:///forum/post/3024482
just wondering cause it seems the storm is getting bad and may lose power, could be a few hours ... normally is
im more worried about the flow, i dont have heaters running in my tank.

A few hours won't do much damage, if you are worried take a small container and scoop some water and pour it back in every hour or so. Mostly the worry is losing heat.
If the outage lasts for more than a day, you have reason for concern.

zippy557

well thats good to hear, thank, the longest the power was ever out here was about 6 hours or so but my temp is self regualted so im not worried about that.

J

jackie dh

I guess every one heard about the massive ice storm that hit the mid west back in January? I was near the worst of it. Our power was out for 6 days, talk about a nightmare. I work a 12 hour night shift and I risked getting our little generator stolen to keep my fish alive because I left it outside and running while I went to work. And yes, people were stealing generators. :(
We were with out power for up to 14 hours several times with no adverse effects on the tank (120). I plan on getting a larger generator in the future, one that I can hard wire to the breaker box and that will run almost every thing in the house. I'm even considering a big stand by generator that kicks on when the power goes out. The only thing that's keeping me from doing that is it runs on LP and my home is all electric, so I would have to buy and maintain a tank just for the generator.
I work for Briggs & Stratton so I can get refurbished units at near cost, but it will still be a lot of money, at least to me it would be.

flower

Originally Posted by Jackie DH
http:///forum/post/3032384
I guess every one heard about the massive ice storm that hit the mid west back in January? I was near the worst of it. Our power was out for 6 days, talk about a nightmare. I work a 12 hour night shift and I risked getting our little generator stolen to keep my fish alive because I left it outside and running while I went to work. And yes, people were stealing generators. :(
We were with out power for up to 14 hours several times with no adverse effects on the tank (120). I plan on getting a larger generator in the future, one that I can hard wire to the breaker box and that will run almost every thing in the house. I'm even considering a big stand by generator that kicks on when the power goes out. The only thing that's keeping me from doing that is it runs on LP and my home is all electric, so I would have to buy and maintain a tank just for the generator.
I work for Briggs & Stratton so I can get refurbished units at near cost, but it will still be a lot of money, at least to me it would be.
If I suffered what you have been through I would get one too. We haven’t had any power outages for any length of time in my area. So I take my chances.

blazetamer

We are in Eastern Ky and were without power at our home for 2 WEEKS (14 days) I HAD a small 3000 watt Gen that ran without a hitch on my 180 Reef for 6 days then broke a shaft. That same day I installed a 8000 watt to run the whole house... Was out a fortune in gasoline to keep eerything warm and flowing BUT in the end was worth it. I really do recomend getting AT LEAST a portable Gen-set just for the tank, if not (like you said) an auto unit. NOW if anything like that happens again I just "Flip a switch" (or in my case 7) and carry on.

unleashed

i do have a large generator for those times but in the past I have used battery operated bubblers to keep air flow in the tanks to keep the fish alive ..I also keep these on hand for transport of fish for long distances.....thes can be purchased at just about any sporting good stores for live wells ,, wallmart, pet stores ,etc 10 -20 bucks

t316

I have a portable Honda generator that I keep stored away. So far, never had to use it....*knocks on wood*

R

rcreations

I have a gas generator outside that can power both my tanks and some other household appliances. Last year we had a really bad storm and the power was out for 2 days but I managed to keep both tanks running, except I didn't power the lights.

blazetamer

Originally Posted by RCreations
http:///forum/post/3032517
I have a gas generator outside that can power both my tanks and some other household appliances. Last year we had a really bad storm and the power was out for 2 days but I managed to keep both tanks running, except I didn't power the lights.

That WAS my original plan and had worked great up until the ICE STORM .
I would have lost pretty much everything in my tank with no lights for 2 weeks. (My coral; was P Od enough the way it was untill I got the BIG GenSet) Although the couple days I did without the lights REALLY helped git rid of some algae

I have always had those small battery back up systems for a PC
They cost about $50 to $90 and work great.
Granted tho...the more Watts plugged in the less run time.
I would only plug in my filter...Eheims on all my tanks.......
Eheim 2213 is about 20 watts...run time was about 2 hours.
It automaticlly goes on as soon as power goes out!