power outage

btwk12

power is out due to storm. I have been up all morning moving water in my tank with a cup for oxygen. My question does anyone know how long fish can go without some kind of water movement? Because i need to go to work

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwk12 http:///t/395677/power-outage#post_3523232
power is out due to storm. I have been up all morning moving water in my tank with a cup for oxygen. My question does anyone know how long fish can go without some kind of water movement? Because i need to go to work
Every hour on the hour....we even took shifts during the night but on the 3rd day I fell asleep for 3 hours...I lost my Hippo tang that I had for years, and my Yellow Lemon peel (personal favorite) and my Kole tang. If you can find a battery operated air pump, you can drop an airline in...you don't even need an air stone, and keep everything alive. A bait shop carries them if the fish store doesn't have any...you might try there. When we had our 4 day power outage there wasn't even a battery to be found in any of the local stores, let alone a battery operated pump at the LFS.
I now have 4 battery operated pumps (from the bait shop), and a portable generator...I was ready for the next time, and next time turned out to be just a few months away.
I used a bowl, and held it about 6 inches from the top of the water, and let it waterfall into the tank...that pushed the oxygenated water a little deeper then what a cup would do. I'm saying a little prayer for you, and fingers crossed everything makes it.

btldreef

Saltwater fish really can't handle zero current for too long. If you can't get a battery powered air pump, try a battery back up that you can at places like Best Buy.

btldreef

Saltwater fish really can't handle zero current for too long. If you can't get a battery powered air pump, try a battery back up that you can at places like Best Buy.