Power Outages

cmkdline

Hi Everyone ,
I am new to the saltwater world and here is a problem that my husband & I ran into this morning that we didn't even think about when we got into this. What do you do when you have a power outage from a storm?
Last night a storm nocked out the power for (I'm guessing) around 4 hours we didn't relize it till this morning when we got up & had no power. As soon as the power came back on our fish were floating (NOT DEAD but ALMOST) . My husband immediatly grabbed the net and held the fish in the jet stream one at a time to revive them, Thank god this worked but you can tell they are under stress. we didn't loose any of them, but we want to prevent this from happening in the future. Any suggestion? Thanks cmkdline southern Idaho.

marka1620

Best thing would be a generator. Some people use UPS for computers which would be good for up to a few hours at best....depending on equipment and UPS battery size. There is another alternative....can't remember what is was.
When I get rich again, I'll pick up a small generator ($500) just in case of a long power outage. Better safe than sorry.

earlybird

If you are at home during it you can use a battery operated bubbler or an empty cup and scoop and pour, scoop and pour, scoop and pour...

92protruck

Even if your not at home you can use a battery powered air bubbler. I have 3 Plenn Plax Silent Airs in my 2 tanks. They run on battery but plug into your A/C outlet. They come on automatically when power goes out providing air and water movement to the tank. When power returns they turn off. Mine stay in the tank. I used hard air tubing (bent it for hanging on the tank) with the airstone hidden behind the live rock you don't even know its there. They are about $12.00 and got me through 3 weeks of no power during Hurricane Wilma.

earlybird

Originally Posted by 92ProTruck
Even if your not at home you can use a battery powered air bubbler. I have 3 Plenn Plax Silent Airs in my 2 tanks. They run on battery but plug into your A/C outlet. They come on automatically when power goes out providing air and water movement to the tank. When power returns they turn off. Mine stay in the tank. I used hard air tubing (bent it for hanging on the tank) with the airstone hidden behind the live rock you don't even know its there. They are about $12.00 and got me through 3 weeks of no power during Hurricane Wilma.
I didn't know they made one that plugs in. Great idea.