Power outtage overflow question

fireshrimp

Hello
I want to say thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out.
I have a 75 gallon reef wet/dry filter system
My question is: If i lose power my return pump in my sump will stop supplying water to the main tank, but my siphon will continue to pull water out of my tank until the water drops below the acrylic box that the siphon is in.
I want to try and eliminate the possible overflow from the main tank. Due to the size / location of the tank, lights, it is hard to raise the acrylic box.
I also have a small sump because of the current stand i am using.
My question is what do you guys use or do? if anything? Is it possible to use a solenoid? if so can anyone suggest a reliable one?
Again thanks for taking the time to read my post.
FireShrimp

natclanwy

There is no 100% reliable way to stop the water flow electronic valves sometimes do not operate correctly or will leak the best way is to operate your sump with enough room to hold all of the water that will drain from the DT tank if the return pump shuts down.
Adjusting the HOB overflow is only the first step you still need to set the water level in the sump so that it cannot overflow. You do this by turning the return pump off and wait until the syphon quites draining water from the tank, be sure to watch the sump and make sure it doesn't overflow and remove water as neccesary. Be sure to shut off your skimmer if it is in your sump also so it will drain. Now adjust the water level in the sump so that it is a couple of inches below the top and turn your pump and skimmer back on. The water level in your sump will drop when everthing equalizes mark the water level in your sump. This mark will be your maximum water level mark you may need to lower this level to accomodate your skimmer or baffles if the level is too high. Now when you top off your tank or do water changes if you never fill your sump higher than this mark, you will never overflow your sump if the power goes out or your pump fails.