Power outtage

nuro

This has all been touched on in a few different threads but i wanted to share my experience from last night. I was ill prepared for a 12+ hour power outtage but thanks the close attention ive paid to the power outtage threads i only lost one fish and that was to the carpet before i even knew the power was out.
I arrived home at about midnight after the power had been out for an unknown amount of time, i'm assuming it was a significant amount of time becuase my eel had jumped ship, my anemone wasnt looking so good all the fish were breathing heavy and slow. the tank temp was 85 and feared the worst was happening. I flew to wal mart and bought three battery powered fans and four battery powered air pumps and stones(these came from the fishing department) and a bunch of D batteries. I placed two fans in the middle of the tank each blowing opposite directions on low speed and onto the water, then placed three air stones in the tank. One at each front corner and one mid level on the back middle of the tank. Tempature in the house was 87 and within the hour the temp had dropped down to the 79-80 mark and the fish were breathign easier. Even the anemone responded well. I ran this way for 7 hours until the power came back on. Everything survived. I had a slight spike in AMM but nothign a small water change tonight wont cure.
The fans i bought are rated for 33 hours on 2 D's and the air pumps for 7 and half on 1 D. Bring on the hurricanes!

big_al

Last major hurricane took out my power for a week! IMO .... I'd be looking for a small generator if you're serious about saving your tank for an extended power outage.
Glad everything worked out this time.

nuro

I'm ina condo that doesnt allow generator :-( so i just have to stock up on batteries and get the water changes ready :/

digitydash

A little tip for you.Go to a fishing store they sell ariators that run off of car battery.When it dies take it outside run the car with some jumper cable to recharge it and your in buisness again.Those D battery will add up if you need them for a long period of time.

nuro

I've got an APC for outtages during thurnderstorms, we get a lot of lightning around here, that will keep the pumps running for a couple hours but thats about it.
I love that car battery airator idea i need to look into that. As far as i figure with the fans in I should be able to keep the temp in the 80's atleast during the day but i doube i can keep in the low 80's so that might be a problem. I'll be able to make up about 50 gallons of new water and i'm thinkign 10% daily should be survivable but not optimal. I live in a heavily populated area so unless its a direct hit i dont think we'll lose power that long.

digitydash

Originally Posted by nuro
http:///forum/post/2664833
I've got an APC for outtages during thurnderstorms, we get a lot of lightning around here, that will keep the pumps running for a couple hours but thats about it.
I love that car battery airator idea i need to look into that. As far as i figure with the fans in I should be able to keep the temp in the 80's atleast during the day but i doube i can keep in the low 80's so that might be a problem. I'll be able to make up about 50 gallons of new water and i'm thinkign 10% daily should be survivable but not optimal. I live in a heavily populated area so unless its a direct hit i dont think we'll lose power that long.
Also their are 12v fans to so it could run both for you.I live on a fire station grid an i was still out of power for 5 days after Wilma.It didn't bother me though cause I have a generator but I have the car batter set up till the storm passes to start the generator.

Originally Posted by nuro
http:///forum/post/2663505
I flew to wal mart and bought three battery powered fans and four battery powered air pumps and stones(these came from the fishing department) and a bunch of D batteries. I placed two fans in the middle of the tank each blowing opposite directions on low speed and onto the water, then placed three air stones in the tank. One at each front corner and one mid level on the back middle of the tank.
The fans i bought are rated for 33 hours on 2 D's and the air pumps for 7 and half on 1 D. Bring on the hurricanes!
Please share the name and what exactly these are. I get power outages on occassion and would like to be prepared. I don't have long power outages so I would be good with these. What about heat... in the winter?

nuro

ill get the brands up when i get homw tonight. as far as heat goes in the winter i havent puvh mut thought into it.. im in florida so a) we dont get alot of power outtages in the winter and b) even if we do 10 minutes with any backup battery powered heater will get u were u need to be.