Powerhead for 75g reef...tell me what to buy!

mixtimp

I have a wet-dry underneath connected to the pre-drilled overflow in the tank, that returns water at something like 300-400 gallons per hour. I want to add a powerhead inside the actual tank for current. Does anyone have any suggestions on what brand to go with, and how many GPH it should put out.
I'm trying to use all top of the line equipment, so I reduce the chances of having anything break. Thanks.

fishieness

if you have the money, i woudl get a TUNZE and a controler and run it not as high. Or a seio, but if you want top of the line, then maybe not. They are good and work fine, but some people have problems with them.
if you want normal powerheads, get some maxijets. As far as the number, what are you keeping?

mixtimp

I was leaning towards the maxijets. I plan on having a reef setup, maybe 100lbs of live rock. Some clown fish, a tang, a couple goby's. Nothing too crazy. So you think one of the maxijet 1200's creating a current in my tank would be enough?

fishieness

no, i think SOME maxi jets would be enough. i have 4 of them rated at 300 gph in my 40 breeder and am soon adding about 500 more gph with a sump. But i also like a lot of flow and am keeping sps.

mrsdorothy

I have 5 in my 65g tank and was still not getting enough flow and had canyo from hell. I ran accross a thread about modding them. Made some adjustments and now I have so much flow that it is moving my sand around. It's not blowing sand all over the place, just making hills and valley here and there. I like the new look and canyo is gone.

mindy7

How much of a sand bed do you have??? I have a sand bed as well,, and mine gets blown around,,, now i dont mind the hills and valleys as well,, but hate it when it shows the bottom of the tank,, any ideas??