powerhead for a 55

I've read that as a rule of thumb for a powerhead you want 10x water turnover for the size tank you have. (55 gallon tank would like 550 gph in turnover). Is there a rule of thumb for a maximum size powerhead in a tank? I'm thinking of adding a 295 gph powerhead for my 55 g reef tank to get more circulation. Is that too powerful a powerhead or would I be better off with a couple of smaller ones?

jcsurfn

I have a 802powed head in my 55 gal. tank. Some say it is to powerful. It seems to work good. I am thinking of getting another small one for the other side and placein it lower. if I were to but them again I would have gotten 2 or maybe 3 smaller ones and places them in different places in the tank. Like on up high to get some ripples on the top of the water and one half way down and then one even farther aown myabe.
I hope this helps. :D

slick

You want a total of at least 10x turnover in your tank. You can have any size ph you want. I think a lot of people like to run around 3 ph's in thier tank. Well reef tanks anyway. Basicly you just want good water movement with no dead spots.

jcsurfn

Does you protine skimmer count as turn over in the tank. I forget what the pumpis that is running mine but I can get that info.

slick

No your protien skimmer does not count. Only the pumps that pump directly into or in the tank count.

krishj39

There is an obvious exception to Slick's post. Protien skimmers DO count in your turnover, as long as they are over the back of your tank, and not in your sump.

oceanjumper

I must say I'm not so sure if hang-on skimmers count. At the least the one I have (with a skimmer box) doesn't do much for water movement. So, I guess the opions are divided. I feel better too much current than too little. As Slick said, avoid dead spots.
Oh, and I'm not just talking when the hang-on is placed in a sump like I have....
Cheers

oceanjumper

five seconds later.... just realized it probably depends also on the size of the rio the skimmer is using. How about we let the skimmer count for half? :)

slick

In my post I told jcsurfn that only pumps that pump directly into the tank count. If the skimmer is on the back and pumps into the tank then it does count.

krishj39

Slick, yeah man, i wasn't disagreeing with you. just adding on to what you said. I know you know your stuff :cool: