powerhead for FO tank

hugo

I put a powerhead in my FO tank thinking it would create a more realistic environment for my fish by providing a water current. I also thought it would help the filter pick up crap in the water by stirring it up off the bottom. The side effect has been that diatoms have bloomed at an alarming rate with 36 hours of installing the powerhead. I have kept it in there and the diatoms are thriving even more. I am guessing the powerhead is helping them pull nutrients from the water. Other than the unsightly diatoms I don't mind the powerhead. I am afraid though that the diatoms are gonna take over at the rate their growing. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

hugo

It is a 25 gallon tank which was setup on May 19th and stocked with 4 damsels on May 23rd. The powerhead is a Rio 800...

goofieones

I doubt the powerheads are causing the diatoms, they are a normal part of a new tank. They take a while to go away. Try using RO water when you do your water changes. This should help keep them in check.

fender

Since your tank has only been up for a couple of weeks the diatoms are most likely a result of your cycle finishing, not the PHs. This will go away in time. It took 3 weeks for my90g.
Also what are you using for a substrate? Silicon based sand will increase chances of diatom bloom.
I can't see how the PH could be causing the problem, it just happened to be installed around the time the cycle was finishing.
[ June 04, 2001: Message edited by: fender ]