Powerhead: Leave It On Or Turn Off

pebbles

I have had my tank for 7 mos I've been having the powerhead turn off when my lights go out at night but was wondering if it's better to keep it on all the time. I got a sun coral & am getting 2 more fish tomorrow. :notsure:

dmitry

Some people decrease the amount of flow at night to simulate calmer seas and let fish rest (though fish can always find a low-flow area to rest their fins). But you don't want to eliminate flow altogether!!! Flow is a must!!!

schadiest1

i like the thought of decreasing flow at night, maybe one off, one on during the night period. but having flow is a must, to keep the tank oxygenated.

vejomatic

I do the same thing, turn the ph off at night. During the day I like to vary the current as well..so if im home and around Ill turn the ph off or on for a few hours at a time (cant afford a wave timer
)

~mc

murray bmf

I leave mine on, but I only have 1 powerhead and a spray bar as a return from my sump. I really do not know which is best. Interesting thread.

vejomatic

Originally Posted by murray BMF
I leave mine on, but I only have 1 powerhead and a spray bar as a return from my sump. I really do not know which is best. Interesting thread.
I dont really know which is "best" either...but I do know that in the ocean, the current is never the same, its always sloshing around incoherently....so, i guess if you can create any kind of varying current in the tank its good.

magooo2

I guess i have never even thought of it. I find my fish in different parts of the tank - night then in the day time. Sounds good reasoning tho to change up current levels in the tank ....Very intersting thread

viper_930

I leave all my powerheads on 24/7. I think at night it's even more important to have the powerheads creating the current because O2 levels decrease. Photosynthesis in plants and algea stops because there's little to no light, but cellular respiration and the use of energy still occurs, creating CO2 in the tank. This would also lower the pH. The water current, most important at the surface, would facilitate the diffusion of O2 into the water, and CO2 out of the water.

pebbles

OK SO LEAVE ON ALL NIGHT, GOOD! THANK YOU
I Have a 40 gal (27? inches long) do you think I need a 2nd ph? (I currently have a rio 800)