Powerhead Magnets

mweezy05

I have two powerheads that I will be placing in my tank for flow. I have heard people talk about magnets that can be used to hold the power head up rather than using suction cups.
Are the magnets worth it? If they are where can I get them?

renogaw

all magnets i've tried, and others have tried, start rusting in the tank.
some people though have modified the magfloat cleaners

oyam1

I got the TUNZE nanostreem PH's that come with magnets.
Top quality, if you see rust (you will not) send it back and they send you a new one.

earlybird

Originally Posted by ROYAL GANG
Is it bad for the aquarium if they rust?
Has to be and it's truly amazing how fast they corrode in saltwater. Crazy how fast it happens I've tried 2 times with those magnets and failed. I even covered it in silicone before and still rust and I've got a small stain on my glass that I can't get out.

donald

I got my mags at lowes. they are the super strong ceramic type. I use 3m brand 5200 marine adhesive and sealant.(wal-mart) They work very well glue one or two to the power head and use one or two more on the outside. I also replaced the suction cup on my thermometer with a small mag(lowes) and some 5200(walmart). Suction cups suck (or don't rather) mags work great.

renogaw

yea, it stinks cause gaussboys actually say their magnets are fine for aquarium use.
i went back to suction cups and they are fine for me

briandg

I've used the glass cleaners that are magnets and siliconed my powerheads to them, it seems to work well, I've had them up for about 6 months with no problems.

earlybird

Originally Posted by donald
I got my mags at lowes. they are the super strong ceramic type. I use 3m brand 5200 marine adhesive and sealant.(wal-mart) They work very well glue one or two to the power head and use one or two more on the outside. I also replaced the suction cup on my thermometer with a small mag(lowes) and some 5200(walmart). Suction cups suck (or don't rather) mags work great.
Sounds cool. Got any pictures?