powerhead placement

saltym3

After 1 1/2 years in my 20 tall I decided to ditch the undergravel filter and do the CC to live sand swap. I ditched everything and started with a clean fresh tank today saving most of the water. As you can see I have my fish in the QT next to the tank. I currently have 2 201's powerheads and a magnum 350 HOB filter. Before I had a powerhead on the top of the UG filter and one on the bottom left hand of the tank. The magnum seems extremely strong as it always has pushing a great deal of current which you can see at the top. Can anyone recommend the best placement for the powerheads. I have the other 201 in the QT right now temporily. The tank is high measuring in at 23". Is two overkill with the magnum? thanks.

gregvabch

dunno, it's so tall! i'd say behind the rockwork blowing towards the front of the tank or either of the back corners blowing towards the opposite front corner. would depend on how you wanted to set up your live rock.

saltym3

before i had one in the top right corner and one in the bottom left corner. its so oddly sized since it was a custom made tank a while ago that placement is so screwy. does one on top and one on the bottom sound okay to do?

jedininja

I think with that shape, 3 small powerheads may be best. One at three different levels and coming from different areas apointed in different area. Such as the top one from the side pointed to the other side, the middle pointed towards the rock and the third from behind the rock pointed forward.