powerhead question???

powerhead question.
Just wondering about how long do they last ? Mine is a little bit over a year old... and doesn't seem to be as strong flow as day one... and yes i know nothing last forever but i was just curious about everyone esle.

zman1

The oldest working - 8 years. Take them out periodically and clean them. They naturally slow down with buildup in them over time. Soak them in white vinegar if you have a lot of CA deposits on the impeller/housing.

sign guy

30 min to an hour should loosen everything up. after it soaks scrub it down and see if it needs to be soaked down again

zman1

I do 12 to 24 hrs if they are in bad shape. I make sure the rod through the impleller turns freely and the impeller moves freely in the slot on the magnet assembly(depending on model) on the impleller. Also use a toothbrush and bottle brush to clean the housing core that the impleller sits in. Then just clean everthing else that is dirty.

sign guy

Originally Posted by zman1
I do 12 to 24 hrs if they are in bad shape.
wow that long! hey im temperarily hijacking the thread
zman I got 2 55 gal plastic drums to house salt water for mixing. they had hydrocloric acid in them would viniger be enough to nutrilize them?

zman1

Vinegar would be what I would use, but then again $5 for a 5 gal bucket at Lowes isn't that costly. Stop throwing your salt buckets away

Edit - Sorry I misread 55 for 5. I don't know if I would try it. Two 32 gal rubbermaids are about $14 each...

sign guy

got a cupple but I make water for some frinds plus my 46 and im almost done buying for my 125, 300 and 25. lot of salt

zman1

Your new Foghorn Leghorn AVATAR is taking me some time to adjust to, associating it to being you...

wattsupdoc

Originally Posted by zman1
Your new Foghorn Leghorn AVATAR is taking me some time to adjust to, associating it to being you...

ditto!

sign guy

Ive hade the same one for a year now and felt I was the only one who had not changed theres yet. Ill be honest, theres nothing like checking back on a thread to see all of your post were deleted and retyped under someone else