Powerhead reminder!

noobzilla

One of my roommates and I have been trying to get a couple damsels out of my tank, and I finally caught one yesterday. Sadly, it got caught in a powerhead and came to what I would imagine would be a horrible way to die. I feel bad about it, since this is the second critter to get sucked into it. The first was my bubble tip anenome, but I got to it in time before much damage was done..
Lesson learned and my evil powerhead now has a small piece of filter sponge in it to prevent any other critters from getting in it.
Remember to cover the intakes on your powerheads! A small flow to us, is enough to pull a fishes face out it's tail.

2quills

Sorry to hear about the fish. Usually as long as they're healthy enough to swim then they're typically strong enough and or smart enough to stay away from them. Anemone's you'll surely have to keep an eye on. The covers are probably a good idea. Just remember that when you cover the intake of any pump that it's important to clean what ever you're using to cover them fairly regularly or you could see significant drop in flow.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/393435/powerhead-reminder#post_3500059
I couldnt help but imagine the woodchipper in that movie Fargo.
Sorry for your sushi.
I've euthanized fish in the past and the wife thought I was mean by putting them down the garbage disposal. She thought that flushing them was much more humane. But I say that if you flush them then you are going to drowned them in raw sewage and that's not cool. The disposal is over in a flash. Sometimes getting blasted to bits is really the better way to go IMO.

snakeblitz33

Eh. If i am going to euthanize a fish, i use clove oil. Its an antistetic. Makes them go completely numb. Its painless for them to permanently go to sleep. You can usually pick some up at a health food store.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/393435/powerhead-reminder#post_3500066
Eh. If i am going to euthanize a fish, i use clove oil. Its an antistetic. Makes them go completely numb. Its painless for them to permanently go to sleep. You can usually pick some up at a health food store.
That's a good tip Seth. I haven't actually euthanized any fish on purpose in a few years. My saltwater fish I try everything I can to save them if I think they sick. When I used to keep african cichlids there were a few occasions over the years where I'd find a fish with all of it's fins completely chewed off by the dominant male. His younger competition, no doubt. But I like this idea better than the disposal idea.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/393435/powerhead-reminder#post_3500068
That's a good tip Seth. I haven't actually euthanized any fish on purpose in a few years. My saltwater fish I try everything I can to save them if I think they sick. When I used to keep african cichlids there were a few occasions over the years where I'd find a fish with all of it's fins completely chewed off by the dominant male. His younger competition, no doubt. But I like this idea better than the disposal idea.
I went to one of my LFS today and I saw that a few of his fish were sick... pop eye, ich, one way laying on the bottom of the tank breathing hard. I told him about it and he just kept sitting in his chair and said "ok" all nonchalantly... I really don't get that guy.... a decent LFS would have at least "appeared" concerned... and better yet, would have pulled them out and started a treatment right off the bat in a few quarantine tanks in the back room away from customers. Customers want to see only healthy, vibrant fish... one sick fish in one tank effects the sale-ability of the livestock. UGH,...
Anyways, I know that's completely off topic from the main point of this thread, but I had to say it somewhere. lol
Yeah, clove oil is a great way to euthanize a fish. When I knew I couldn't save a fish, this is what I turned to.

J

jstdv8

I heard you put them in a Baggie of their saltwater in the freezer and they slowly go to sleep because metabolism slows way down

noobzilla

More bad news, even with a filter on the thing it's sucked two big turbo snails out of their shells. My buddy with a freshwater tank is loving it now, he gets nice shells when I lose CuC. I'm waiting to see if it starts snowing, before I go grab a new powerhead and just use this evil one for mixing salt. I've got it unplugged for now, Probably gonna grab one of the bigger maxi-jets I saw at the LFS. They've also got a used 55g, drilled with protein skimmer for $100 cash, which I happen to have in pocket right now.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobzilla http:///t/393435/powerhead-reminder#post_3500604
More bad news, even with a filter on the thing it's sucked two big turbo snails out of their shells. My buddy with a freshwater tank is loving it now, he gets nice shells when I lose CuC. I'm waiting to see if it starts snowing, before I go grab a new powerhead and just use this evil one for mixing salt. I've got it unplugged for now, Probably gonna grab one of the bigger maxi-jets I saw at the LFS. They've also got a used 55g, drilled with protein skimmer for $100 cash, which I happen to have in pocket right now.
cool, let us know what you end up doing!

noobzilla

I ended up getting the new powerhead yesterday, I went with the maxi-jet 1200, and see a huge difference in flow from the other one. What's the secret to getting the suction cups to stay stuck? I did everything I could think of, short of alcohol and a rag, and the dang thing fell off while I was sleeping, it knocked off a couple frags I had stuck down, and my dog ate my last tube of super glue.
It's definitely a Monday.

noobzilla

I ended up holding off on the tank (for now) and instead invested in a RO/DI setup. I also picked up a mandarin that I've been looking at for a few months now, decided to grab a brain coral too. I'm not sure how, but the dog seems fine, he even gets to go get snipped on Friday.