Powerhead too strong?

bjoe23

I hooked up a maxijett 1200 to my 29 gallon. The water flow looks strong, would it be too strong for a small clown fish and a sixline wrasse? Would they get used to it? do they like it?

renogaw

thats only about 20x so should be fine.
what's funny is 2 hk4's in a 90 gallon. i don't know how my corals are going to survive... the fish love it though.

perfectdark

IMO Yes if its not your return pump but its a power head inside your tank its too powerful. Thats a very strong current in a 29 gal. IMO its not intensity of the current but the amount of area being affected by it. Stronger doesnt always mean more, and in some instances can create issues like sand storms in your aquarium. IMO having 2 PH In your tank with moderate flow is better than 1 with strong flow.

renogaw

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
IMO Yes if its not your return pump but its a power head inside your tank its too powerful.

why would a mj1200 be too powerful (its only 300gph)? so actually it's only about 10x

perfectdark

Depending on where its aimed I guess it could work, I have a RIO 1100 comprable to the MJ1200 (I think) for my return pump on my Cube tank. I wouldnt use it in the display area it would be much too powerful IMO. I have a loc line splitter on my return into my tank so its not over powering.

perfectdark

I think the only person that can answer that question is you... depending on your set up, LR placment and where the PH is aimed it may work well. I know for my 29 Cube tank I fought with 2 of my PH to get there aim and flow rate adjusted so that it wasnt a hurricane in my tank and they were not as powerful as a MJ1200. But landscape layout is everything, yours may be ok.

bjoe23

Mine is a 29 regular and it is in 1 corner. I think the fish are used to it now but i dont want to put stress on them

renogaw

personally, i'd say you're fine. If you want, take it out and put in two mj600's in either corner.
your fish won't care too much either way :)

bjoe23

Well i made a little compromise, I took that maxijett 1200 and put that in my mixing tub for mixing batches of SW. Then i went to LFS and they had an awesome deal on MJ400's so i bought 2 for $14 each! They were selling them for 34 each so I got a pretty good deal. I just put the MJ 400s up and the flow seems alot better and more reasonable for the clown to swim around in.