Powerheads- Day vs Night

kappadoku

What do you guys do with your powerheads in your reef tanks at night? Do you turn them just down, or all the way off, and let the fish rest and let the filter still cycle water?

tonka

Keep them going. It would be better to have your powerheads going than not going at night. The oxygen is far less at night. You need circulation all the time. It is good to rotate or fluctuate powerheads. I have some of my powerheads on hourly timers. And I have 2 that move. From what I've read,and from personal experience, water motion is one of the most important items for a good reef.

tacks

I have one that stays on all the time and another on a timer. It shuts off at midnight, then comes back on a 5am.

nm reef

I keep a maxi-jet 1200 going at the surface to keep it rippled.....my other 2 are maxi-jet 600's and they are lower in the tank....one of these goes off at 12:00 midnite & on at 4:00 am...the other off at 2:00 am on at 5:00 am..plus the skimmer on one end and the millinium 3000 on the other(no media..just extra circulation)
seems to work on my lil reef :rolleyes: