Powerheads... How many do you use, post pics!

sillynecco

Im looking to add a few powerheads to my tank, but i was curious to find out the best brands, GPH models and where you place them in your tank.
Currently I am only running one powerhead, im looking to add two or three, just wanted to know the best places to put them.
Post some pics! Lets see what you all have.
Thanks!

fishieness

if you have the money/a big enough tank, get a tunze or two. if not, get maxi jets. The number depends entirely on the size of your tank and how much flow you want. I have 4 maxi jet 1200s on my 40 breeder with a 300 gph HOB filter and a HOB skimmer, but i like a lot of flow.

sillynecco

Im talkin about the powerheads your using to create current, not used in filtration....
Just thought i would clear that up

fishieness

Originally Posted by sillynecco
Im talkin about the powerheads your using to create current, not used in filtration....
Just thought i would clear that up
i know.... i said i have 4 maxi jet 1200s. i jsut threw in everything else that was in there so you were able to get a feel of how much flow i had so you can get a picture of how much you need or want is all.

sillynecco

cool..... how many gallon tank setup do you have?
im looking at getting 3 of the power sweep models that rotate flow, they are rated at 120-160 gph, kinda low, but i figured i can use lower speeds since i have three of them plus another that is at 400 gph.
question, would that turn my tank into a tsunami in glass or would that work?

S

sinner's girl

I use one in my 75gl, it's on the opposite side as the filter

isistius

i run 2 maxijet 900's inside my 54g corner. i have 2 more that are just waiting to be used (which i will add since they all came with a wavemaker).

coachklm

please dont use powersweeps... they require quite alot of maintenance and get stuck more often then not ,you could get a maxi for the same if not less. +198 or whatever is not alot of flow for a powerhead.

mrdc

Originally Posted by coachKLM
please dont use powersweeps... they require quite alot of maintenance and get stuck more often then not ,you could get a maxi for the same if not less. +198 or whatever is not alot of flow for a powerhead.

I concur :)

sillynecco

no go on power sweeps?
I have one pump right now, would i be better off getting 2 more or just one more that is stronger? Should i be concerned that im turning my tank into a big current? would that stress the fish?

brucoh

First of all, what size of tank do you have? I have a SEIO 620 and a maxijet 600 in my 29gal and they work great. The SEIO gives a very wide gentle flow through the middle of my tank. It doesn't blow my corals around like a firehose. I cut the nozzle off all the way back to the impeller on my maxijet so the water has a much bigger retangular hole to come out of, making it have a much wider flow. The maxijet is pointed to the water's surface and it proves great agitation for every inch of the surface with the modification I did to it. This really makes my metal halide shimmer look good and breaks up any surface film. I've seen some people criticize the SEIO powerheads, but I love mine. Oh yeah, do not buy a powersweep, I've heard nothing but bad things about those. If you want a rotating current, buy a hydor rotating water deflector and put it on a maxijet.

saltfan

I don't have any. I have 4 returns off of Closed Loops. One(set of returns) is a 1537gph and the other is a 1017gph. 135g tank. 6' long.

ryanhayes9

Originally Posted by SaltFan
I don't have any. I have 4 returns off of Closed Loops. One(set of returns) is a 1537gph and the other is a 1017gph. 135g tank. 6' long.

WOW. wonder what that guy with the 2700 gallon tank uses?

fedukeford

on my 55 gallon i use 2 powhead 301's (not sure of brand) a powersweep to get behind the rocks, and i have a rio 800 for my skimmer

sillynecco

Originally Posted by brucoh
First of all, what size of tank do you have? I have a SEIO 620 and a maxijet 600 in my 29gal and they work great. The SEIO gives a very wide gentle flow through the middle of my tank. It doesn't blow my corals around like a firehose. I cut the nozzle off all the way back to the impeller on my maxijet so the water has a much bigger retangular hole to come out of, making it have a much wider flow. The maxijet is pointed to the water's surface and it proves great agitation for every inch of the surface with the modification I did to it. This really makes my metal halide shimmer look good and breaks up any surface film. I've seen some people criticize the SEIO powerheads, but I love mine. Oh yeah, do not buy a powersweep, I've heard nothing but bad things about those. If you want a rotating current, buy a hydor rotating water deflector and put it on a maxijet.

I have a 75g tank, here is a pic of it. the pump is on the left hand side.

maxalmon

2 Rio 840 powerheads mounted on opposite side of the tank facing each other which actually creates a varrying current as one flow will eventually push the other to one side and switch back and forth etc.. 2 Maxi 900's mounted behind and undeneath my LR which blows the detritus out from behind everything, they are mounted on the back wall and aimed down about 45 degrees. Fluval 404 with a 14" spray bar that is mounted halfway down the back wall with the jets pointed up, this creates an upwelling from the back of the tank. If you ever want to actaull see your water patterns or flows pump some air into justa bout any of your pumps and watch how they travel. Took me a week or so to figure out all the plasements so that I got water flowing everywhere. I can actually put a bunch of mysis in the tank and you can watch it get blown thru the LR, then it gets spit out the backside and then up and over the top.