Powerheads Lock Up

trippclark

I have a total of six powerheads in my tank -- various brands and sizes performing various tasks of moving water. Some of these I have had for several years all performing quite flawlessly. Within the past year, as I have moved from fish-only to other tank inhabitants, I have been more aware of calcium levels and tried to keep my level at around 400. At the same time, I have had a significant problem with powerheads locking up. I have had to replace two already and have two more that are acting up now. When they first lock up, I remove them from the tank, soak overnight in vinegar, and then clean off any calcium deposits and coralline algae, tube works, etc. that have built up on the powerhead. Typically this works for a while, but they continue to lock up, until I get fed up and replace them. Am I drawing an inaccurate correlation between the increased calcium and the locking up powerheads? Is there some other maintenance I should be doing? It just seems odd that I had no problems formerly with powerheads for years, but now they keep locking up . . . even the new ones.

bigarn

Are you referring to the rotateing ones when you say locking up? If so, that's the bad thing about them.... once salt, calcium and whatever builds up on them they usually stop moving. :D

trippclark

Yep, they quit spinning. Sometimes I can open them up and get them working again, but after a few times doing this the lock ups get more frequent until they will not stay going any time at all.

birdy

Yes High calcium and Alk can contribute to powerheads not working anymore.
I have had pretty good luck with the SEIO powerheads and I like the wide flow pattern from them. Also TUNZE do very well and you only need two of them for most tanks.
Another thought is going with a closed loop, that is my prefered method of circulation.

trippclark

Hmmm, so how long can they be expected to last with 400 +/- calcium levels? At the rate I am going I'm gonna need to start stocking spares for when they go out!

birdy

If you go with a closed loop it should not be a problem at all, much cheaper in the long run and no powerheads cluttering up the tank.

jose2

Ive just set-up a new 55gal saltwater tank got all the goodies in (crushed coral, live sand, & salt. Have 50 gal filter runnin on it. Tank is still salty looking not as bad as first starting its been 24hrs. How long before it starts to clear-up

birdy

well a search will give you a lot of info, but:
Basically its is a large external pump, you have an inlet from the tank (some people have a hole drilled into the middle of the back of the tank), basically you use pvc pipe (you can get black pvc to diguise it) and go from inside the tank over the back (use two 90's) then down to the pump, then from the outlet of the pump you pipe back into you tank, I prefer 4 outlets, two in the back and one on each side. Size of pump depends on size of tank.