powerheads necessary?

saltywhit67

How necessary are powerheads. I have never used one before and i seem to be doing allright with my tank. Should i get some even if everything is going okay?

footbag

If you don't have any other form of water movement then they are nessesary. I just took my PH out of my nano and replaced it with a spraybar hooked to my return pump. Nothing to get stuck on, and more real estate in my nano.

reefnut

I dream for the day I can throw my power heads in the trash... replaced with closed loops, maybe a couple SCWD's or some sea swirls. One of these days :happyfish
As for water movement, water movement is very important.

moraym

Even in my FOWLR tank I have powerheads. I used to not have any, and areas where the current was low would be very prone to algae. Once I added a couple powerheads, the current was decent around the entire tank and algae is no longer able to grow as easily thanks to the stronger current.

nemo lover

Yes agreed. You should have ph's. What size tank do you have? also what kind of critters do you have? They might be doing good now but in the long run you might run into problems. You also might get alot of hair algea and cyano from the dead spots .

timg

It depends on the system and what type of flow you have in that system.
Example if you have a FO 50gal and a hob filter that has a 600gph Flow than probably don't need a ph. If you have a 50 gal with a reef setup and only a HOB with 600 GPH flow than you need to probably add several PH's to keep nutrients and waste in the water column(sp). It truly depends on the system and personal preference.
Currently I have a 55 with a HOB filter with 400gph flow three 200gph PH's and a HOB protein skimmer with a 200gph flow. I would like to replace my system with an overflow with a return pump of 800gph and 2 200gph ph's hidden behind my LR since my current tank cannot accomodate a closed loop.
Tell us what system you have and we might be able to give some ideas and opinions.
Tim

overanalyzer

Do you need powerheads?? no
Can you get away with one HOB filter for a tank - No!
You need to make sure you have quality water movement - you need to make sure there are as few dead spots as possible in your tank for detrius to build up and also so your water chemistry in those dead areas does not effect your anything that moves or grows into that area.
Personallly on a larger tank if you have returns then the only power head you would need would be something behind your rocks to make sure there is no dead water there .....
in smaller - non-drilled tanks it is recommended - especially if you have just a HOB filter - because if that HOB filter goes out (say while you are living in Des Moines and your better half is living in KC) you still have water movement and avoid a major catastrophe!
In really small tanks (under 20) you could get away with just a HOB or the spray bar set up mentioned by footbag.
I agree with TIMG - what are your needs and wants?

saltywhit67

Currently i have a 75 reef. I have one anemone, and thats about the only critter i have that would need water flow. A couple corals, zoo's, gsp's and some shrooms. I have 2 HOB filters both doing 330gph i also have a hob protien skimmer doin about 100gph.

timg

salty do you have live rock? A good rule of thumb would be to have about turnover of atleast 20 times per hour IMO.

timg

I would get a couple of PH's so that you have some circulation within the tank. The HOB skimmer and the skimmer are probably just agitating the surface. I would place a PH on each side of the tank pointing at the LR this will help to eliminate dead spots around the LR and keep material to be filtered from setlling. JMO

roggy23

are PH's best effective if place where the water hits the surface of the water or should a PH be place lower in a tank facing towards the glass? which method is most effective against algae and cyano?

nemo lover

hey roggy,
Did you add your sump yet? Algae can be caused by many things not just water flow. Over feeding, phosphates, to much lighting old bulbs, bad water quality, and bad water movement. What type of tank? is it a reef? what equipment do you have? Do you use sand or cc?

roggy23

hey nemo,
i have a 60 gal FOWLR aggressive, live sand, aqua c remora skimmer, RENA XP3 can filter, and now 2 MJ 900 PH's.
No sump yet, still debating if i should get one... im worried about my tank being more noisey with the sump, etc.