Powerheads On Or Off??

jthomas0385

Alright My Salt Water Is Mixed And My Live Sand Is In, So Should I Shut The Powerheads Off And Let The Sand Fall To The Bottom? Or Keep Them On?? Thank You!

renogaw

turn them on, it actually helps settle the dust cloud. just make sure you clean them out every couple of days.

lexluethar

I would shut them off. If there are too many sand particles in the water they will chew up your motors on the power heads.

dlauber

sand is a natural abraisive, if the sand actually touches gears while going through the powerhead, which it usually does, it could tear them up after a while. I would shut them off

perfectdark

If its actual sand floating around I would shut down the power heads. If it was really fine dust clouding the water I would leave them on. Once the dust cloud settles it will only kick up again when you turn your PH on. IMO I would of washed the sand off first getting rid of the fine sediment and dust if thats what it is.

tarball

I would shut everything off except power heads. What you see in the tank is dust from the sand. Shouldn't hurt the power heads. Wouldn't be a bad idea to rinse the power heads in fresh water once a day until sandstorm has settled.

renogaw

exactly, once the dust settles, and you put the power heads on, it will just agitate the dust particles.
the sand doesnt float, just keep the powerheads on and you'll be fine. you could even put that blue filter material in your sump if you have one and that will take a lot out as well.