Powerheads- which brand?

clownfish2

Which brand of powerheads are the best for saltwater. I know that there are several brands on the market today. What I would like to know is which ones hold up the best for this type of application. Any help would be greatly appreciated:D

richard rendos

Are these for circulation? If so, Maxi Jets are great, and The Tunze Turbelle Streams are awesome. I just got one a week or two ago...wow, they really move some water.

nm reef

I like the Maxi-jets...low maintenance and very effective. The Tunze products are reported to be even better buit I've never used them.

clownfish2

As it stands as of now I have my choice of either a 75 or a 90gal tank. Would 2 maxi-jet 1200's work? These will be for circulation only. Also where do you find info. on Tunze products? Thanks guys for the help.:)

blue dew

I've got three Maxi-Jets and have had no problems. This board seems to recommend them highly and even my LFS seems to only sell Maxi-Jets.

I suggest Maxi-Jets. I have a 75 with - originally - 3 rios and 2 Maxi. Well, last week one of the Rios died, only 4-5 months old. Also, Maxis come with more devices to redirect the water.
Definately go Maxi-Jet.

reefnut

I also vote for maxi-jets... especially if you plan to have a wavemaker.
As it stands as of now I have my choice of either a 75 or a 90gal tank. Would 2 maxi-jet 1200's work? These will be for circulation only.

It's hard to say. I have 4 in my 125 on a wavemaker plus the sump return but I'm planning to keep SPS which require a lot of current. Main thing you want to do is make sure you have no dead spots.

clownfish2

Ok, Maxi-jet it is. Now for the size of tank I will be running(75 or a 90) which size of Maxi's should I run(900's or 1200's) and how many for this application. Thanks a bunch everybody this has been a great help. Thank God for this forum.:D :D

T

thomas712

The 900's or the 1200's, I had a 55 that I used two 1200's on and it worked fine. Just one on my 90 tends to blow some sand around. As you can see below if energy bill is a concern the 900's would be the way to go and it never hurts to have an extra one handy. I would suggest at least two for the tank up to and including 4 for a 90 depending on how you have it plumed and the type of return pump/power you have. Also one for mixing your salt mix for water changes.
Maxi Jets Wattage:
600 = 7.5 watts per hour
900 = 8.5 watts per hour
1200 = 20 watts per hour!!!
Model V/Hz Consumption
(in watts)
Maximum
Flow
Maximum
Pumping Ht.
Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price*
l/h g/h meters inches
MP400 120/60 5 400 106 .73 29 $27.90
MP600 120/60 7.5 600 160 1.35 53 $32.85
MP900 120/60 8.5 870 230 1.17 46 $38.40
MP1200 120/60 20 1110 295 1.74 69 $42.85
But you can get them for much less on line :D
Thomas

clownfish2

Thomas,
I don't know where you keep coming up with all this info but YOU THE MAN!!!!!!. Looks like I will be running the 900's for now and see how things turn out. Yes, you are right, when you are on disability the budget is a great concern. :)

fshhub

IMO, either hagen aquaclears, or maxi jets. Unless you have a not so tight budget, tehn tunzes are suposed to be great however they are more money.

gatorcsm

I have a 90g and I run a mag 9.5 for my return, two mini-jets in my sump to keep the surface water mixed up in a couple of chambers, and 6 maxi-jets in the tank
I have:
3 - 1200
2 - 900
1 - 400 for some soft direct flow.
I have 2 of the 1200's opposing eachother in the front two corners slanted down at about 15-20 degrees so that the two streams hit in the top third of the tank and then they cause quite a random flow there. I have another 1200 in the back right pointed straight ahead to push surface water towards the overflow and get some turbulence at the surface. The 400 gives some direct flow to corals (very low output, just directs a little bit of water it's way). then 1 900 is positioned right below the return to help mix the output of the return and get it mixed in (trying to prevent the lower saline conditions of makeup water... prob unnecessary but I have a brain that would have been in right in the path of that return water, so I also extended my return out past it.)
The other 900 is pointing also towards the surface and towards the front since the one surface one wasn't doing as good of a job as I wanted at keeping the surface clear of a film.
Hope it helps,
Gator

T

thomas712

Jlem - So sorry, I will transfer some of my posts to your Swiss bank account, perhaps you will be able to build that fence you always wanted. :D
Thomas

fshhub

is it an aquarclear?(hagen does have a couple of lines, the others i dont like at all)
if so, what is your problem with it? I am interested in knowing

tony detroit

Well first I like the strainer screen type cover that comes with a Rio type pump. Second the suction cup system is no where near as good as my Rio's are. And third, the impellers will stop and need dissassembling on an almost monthly basis.
Anybody have any good luck with power sweeps?