Powerheads?

j trigger

I have a new 29 FOWLR that im cycling right now...
I just wanted to know what are some good inexpensive powerheads to buy? and pump?
Also where do you ususally point the powerheads?
Should I turn them on during cycling?
Thanks!

j trigger

Are there some sort of clips on the maxijets? Do they hang on the back?
Where the best place to point the two of them?

bigarn

Yes, they come with clips.....Hang them on opposite sides of the tank (lengthwise) point one towards the surface (you need surface movement) and the other towards the middle of the tank. :D

B

big911dog

I also recommend maxi jets. they come with clips and a suction cup mount if you want it deeper. let them run during the cycle.
for a 29 gal, u should be turning over anywhere from 290 to 580 GPH. the total of all pumps and powerheads are used to compute ur hourly flow rate.

zap800

hey not to get off the topic but where at in pa are you? im in northumerberland county. a town called mt. carmel. on powerheads i like the powersweeeps, but.................................
they need regular mantainance. i know , i know alot of people here do not like them. so dont flame me lol, but when they are working, they do do a nice job of making eratic water movement. those maxi's are a good powerhead.

B

big911dog

Zap, people who flame others for their personal opinions or favorites ESPECIALLY IN THIS HOBBY are idiots. They're not even worth listening to. We all have our favorites and recommendations. what works for one may not work for another. Stick to ur guns zap and damn the flaming interlopers! LOL...

aceshigh

I have 4 hagen PH's in my tank and I like them alot, haven't had a problem out of them yet....knocks on wood.