Powerheads?

j trigger

Do you guys run your powerheads 24/7? And how high of a flow do you have them on?
I have a 29g with one maxijet600, and I have it on the slowest flow setting, and it seems pretty strong...
Also do you guys use the cone type attachment or the prefilter grid attachment?
Thanks!

theweena

i have a 600 also and i run it all the time....mine is set full power and it works like a charm...it depends on if yer using it for filtration of for water flow....if for water flow..the cone is fine if not...go with the grid thing...thewenna

thedraven

Hey, good questions.. alot of people dont realize the importance of water movement. In my 72, Im using two maxijet 1200s (295 gph each), one extra maxijet 1200 feeding my Remora Pro skimmer, and two Magnum 350 canister filters (350 gph each).
Recommended flow depends on your type of setup (fowlr or reef). Reef always demands more flow (10x-20x), although its important in a fowlr too. You want to shoot for at least 10x turnover per hour in your tank (through filters and powerheads). And yes, my powerheads run 24/7.. and I use foam prefilters to discourage livestock from getting sucked up.

steveoutla

I have 2 Aquaclear 802's and 1 402 im my 55g. I was using the filters that came with them but they cost a lot of money and clog up every 2 weeks. Since I'm just using them for water movement I'm swithching back to the plastic grid. I run mine 24/7 and it really makes a difference.

K

kpatrick

I keep mine on 24/7. Try to keep my flow pretty high all the time although I do use a wavemaker to switch up the flow.

K

kpatrick

It cost $109 but if you watch some of the internet auction sites you can sometimes find them cheaper.

nas19320

If kpatrick is referring to the Red Sea wavemaster, then it uses the powerheads and cycles them on/off to create random currents.

thesamm

from what j trigger said, i belive that it depends on the tank size and what guest's are in it, and since u have a 29 im just guessing its a reef??? if that is true u would want the current somewhat low to not dammage the corals or the smaller reef fish, but if u had a bigger tank you would want more of a current, i gotta 90 and i have 2 maxi jet 1200s goin full power (plus a PM hot-1 skimmer and an emperror 400) but i am also gonna house agressive larger fish...good question :D